Thursday 6 June 2024

The gardening bug is in the family!

 


I’ve always been a keen gardener. Even before I bought my first house, I took an interest in gardening, especially when my parents bought a lovely house not far from where I live now. The third of an acre garden backed on to woodland and my dad worked so hard every weekend, providing fruit and veg for the family. Mum, too, enjoyed doing the borders and the flowers. (My grandma, too, had always been an avid gardener. So it was in the blood!)

When I bought my first house, although it had a ‘pocket handkerchief’ sized garden, it was enough to whet my appetite and set me on the path to a lifetime of gardening.

Time passed and many years later when my son, Nich, was in the 6th form and still living at home, his room opened on to a small garden, which was a delightful little ‘escape’. This was it…below…and as he was showing an interest in gardening, I suggested that if he wished, he could have this as his own garden and do with it what he wished, until he went to Uni. He was delighted and he soon got stuck in and ‘plied his trade’, growing vegetables and flowers.



When he went off to Uni, I gradually took over but I knew that he was well on the way to becoming a proper gardener. And then, he finally bought his own house which came with a lovely garden…but one that was quite a challenge ; it was a steepish, woodland garden, but with so much charm. Of course, it was hard work and he toiled and worked exceedingly hard on it, keeping its charm.








I always loved a visit to his garden! But all good things come to an end and last year, he and his family moved to a bigger house with a more manageable garden. When children come along, you have a little less time to devote to the garden and now, they have William, he is the priority. But, nevertheless, gardening is now becoming one of William’s hobbies!

Recently, my husband made William a lovely raised planter, just the right height…






And William is becoming the proper little gardener! He’s loving it and with Nich’s help, he’s learning so much! 



And long may it last! I’m so thrilled that the gardening bug has been passed down as I think that it’s the most wonderful interest! 😁

5 comments:

  1. This week we got gardening gloves for both Molly and George our grandchildren, George loves to be outside and helping me, Molly will want to join in, hopefully loads of lovely memories for them. Sadly our daughters garden is very modern and hardly any plants, so I'm on a mission to get the youngsters outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching them while they're young is the key :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start them young, keep them keen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely planter! William is enjoying a wonderful introduction to gardening.
    It is always a joy to see the delight in a child's eyes when they see what can grow from a tiny seed. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great, William will learn so much with his planter and some seeds.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)