Saturday 1 June 2024

Geum


 

I think that the Geum is a wonderful, garden plant! It oozes reliability, and, nowadays, there are quite a range of varieties, whereas in days gone by,’ Mrs Bradshaw’ and ‘Lady Stratheden,’ seemed to be the only choice, at least in the nurseries local to me! Not that those varieties aren’t lovely… but it’s good to have more choice. 

I decided that I’d like a few more Geum in my garden. And so, last week, I journeyed from my armchair, to Proctors Nursery, one of my favourites, if not my favourite!   I was very good, limiting myself to 5 varieties. Here goes:




Totally Tangerine. 
I think this is one that most people know and love! It enjoys full sun, and produces these lovely tangerine/ orange/ apricot coloured blooms from spring and throughout the summer. It can grow to approx 60cm tall and 40cm spread.





                                                                         Petticoats Peach
This lovely Geum, has ruffled peach and pink, semi double flowers, with a very long flowering season! It can grow to 25cm in height and its spread can be up to 45cm. It likes full sun/ part shade. A very hardy variety!





Firestarter

I’m a Firestarter, twisted Firestarter, hey hey hey!  (For anyone who remembers The Prodigy!)

Well, this one’s not twisted in any way, but the name is apt! With its lovely upright stems, ruffled, semi double, fiery red flowers and blooming from April to September, it’s a fine sight! Very hardy, it loves full sun/ part shade, well drained soil and it can grow to 50cm in height and its spread can be up to 35cm.




Sunrise

Gorgeous, sunny yellow flowers, that bloom continually from April to September, it grows up to 50cm in height and spread. Loving full sun, it’s very hardy.




                                                                               Pink Petticoats

This is a fairly new variety and it’s beautiful. It has coral pink, ruffled, semi double flowers that bloom from late spring until August. It loves full sun and is very hardy. Height and spread is approx 40cm


And finally…



I can count ..and yes, I said that I limited my choice to 5 varieties! However, I then mentioned to Nich that I was buying some Geum and he said that he’d like another Geum for his garden but that he wanted a particular colour…apricot ish!

I already had ‘Mai Tai’ in my garden and so I suggested this one as it’s lovely. It has double apricot flowers with a hint of yellow/ orange, flowering throughout spring and summer. Its height and spread are around 40cm and it loves full sun. Very hardy too.


So, there you have it! However, there are many more varieties! My plants arrived really quickly from Proctors Nursery, which can be found HERE and I highly recommend!



5 comments:

  1. Very pretty flowers and with a long flowering season - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Sal, having sent you a message, I find I can now leave a comment after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I love Geums. I have that top one pictured and I love the way it stands up above the leaves, it has been in 4 gardens with me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't they gorgeous and they will give you hours of joy as they bob about in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very fond of them as they will, like hardy geraniums, grow in our heavy clay soil. We have Sunrise and a more delicate lemon coloured one, I can't remember it's name and Rivale which came from a friend's garden in Wales. You have chosen some beautiful ones. I like Petticoats Peach:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)