Saturday 6 January 2024

Bristol ~ Clifton ~ Al Stewart ~ Now ~ Then ~ Smiling! ๐Ÿ˜


Stumbling across an article, earlier, I was informed by the headline that an English city is defying the house price slump…(that's if you believe that there is one!) Being the inquisitive kind, I looked further to find that the said city was, in fact, Bristol. 

 

                            Clifton Village


The strange thing is that only minutes before this, I was humming a tune, written many years ago by Al Stewart. This song being, ‘Clifton in the Rain’.


Clifton in the Rain

The rain came down like beads
Bouncing on the noses of the
People from the train
A flock of salty ears
Sparkled in the traffic lights
Feet squelched soggy leaves across the grain
I took my love to Clifton in the rain
And all along the way
Wanderers in overcoats with
Collars on parade
And steaming in the night
The listeners in the Troubadour
Guitar player weaves a willow strain
I took my love to Clifton in the rain
Jacqueline Bisset
I saw your movie
Wondered if you really felt that way
Do you ever fear
The images of Hollywood?
Have you felt a shadow of its pain?
I thought of you in Clifton in the rain




Oh those lyrics! The English teacher in me just had one of those ‘moments’! Just look at that first verse! Sights, sounds, taste, simile, alliteration…and so much more! These lyrics shout out ‘Use me’. They shout out so much! They also shout out ‘love’! I think Al was around 22 years old when he wrote this. So simple yet so effective. I digress!


And as I hummed, my mind travelled back to my student days! Not only was I a HUGE Al Stewart admirer/ groupie, travelling all over the place to watch him perform ( but especially at The Marquee Club in Wardour Street, London)  but I was also a frequent visitor to Bristol…that is almost every weekend! 

It was the early 1970s, at a time when I believe that Bristol was at its best! Every Saturday was spent enjoying the sights and sounds of Park Street, enjoying coffee and a sandwich in a little cafe called the Fleur de Lys and then wandering up to Clifton and of course, Clifton Downs. Life was simple and the city didn’t seem as threatening as it is today. I guess I’d sooner remember it as it was as the last time I visited Bristol I was horrified at what seemed to me to be a monster! How it had grown since the 1970s!


I read the article further and it was very complimentary re certain areas of the city and how Bristol is ‘bucking the trend’. It gave the ‘hottest’ ๐Ÿ”ฅpost codes and mentioned the vibrant arts/music/nightlife scene, not forgetting the fact that the city has one of the highest graduate retention rates in the country. Downsizers, upsizers and first time buyers are the key groups that are fuelling demand for property…etc etc etc!


And it all sounded so good…until I turned to the comments! These were very mixed indeed. Many Bristolians said that they had moved out as they couldn’t stand it any more, but, in particular, they hated the traffic and the air quality! Many mentioned the graffiti. On the other hand, some say that there are excellent good road/rail/ air links and that it’s great for their commute.

I suppose it’s the same with any city…good and bad…and then the very last comment that I read was this:


‘Clifton is amazing’ 

I smiled.


And I wanted to ask… ‘ What, even in the rain?’ 

But I doubt that the writer would even know what I was on about! 

And, after all, it was just over 50 years ago when I first listened to that track as well as wandering from Park Street to Clifton, rain or no rain. ☔️ 


7 comments:

  1. I spent my junior school years in Bristol, one of my brothers lives there and brought up his family. I think it's going to become the new London, commuter-wise it's got good connections, a lot of big business is moving in that direction and house prices will creep up. It has so much lovely countryside within easy reach - if I had a house there I would hang on to it and try to embrace the rain! My childhood memories of Bristol are the suspension bridge, smoke pouring out of chimneys and a very grey place - the only joy for me was Troopers Hill where I played in the disused quarry and the library - that was my haven! It had a huge supply of Nancy Drew Mystery stories :) Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s interesting! Both my mum and my sister did their teacher training in Bristol! I remember going with my sister to her interview and we stayed the night in a hotel at the bottom of Park Street. That library sounds fab! ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  2. You forgot the zoo, spent many a happy visit when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I forgot the zoo! We were taken there for the day when I was at Primary School! ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  3. There's so much to see in Bristol, not the zoo though as I think that closed last year. Love all the hills and colourful houses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sal - sending happy new year greetings. Enjoying reading about Bristol as despite growing up not far from that area I've never really spent any time there, for one reason or another.....main one being I've been in the US for 60+ yrs!!!!!
    My niece who works for Airbus worked there for a few years (Airbus wings come from Bristol) and I think quite liked the city but has now moved back to France and works in their Toulouse headquarters. Bristol certainly has expanded over the years by sound of it.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely memories! I drove under the Clifton Bridge while driving through Bristol dozens of times going up to visit my sister and her family in Worcestershire. I always enjoyed looking at the climbers on the cliffs along that road. Happy new Year Sal!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)