Sunday 31 December 2023

Happy New Year!


 

Do you enjoy New Year’s Eve? I guess that I did when I was much younger but it never really featured heavily in my calendar and quite often I’ve been glad to see the back of the old year! 

What got me thinking about New Year was the mention of fireworks, yesterday. We’ve already heard fireworks in the area where I live and no doubt  we will be bombarded tonight! I don’t understand people’s obsession and personally I feel that fireworks are a complete and utter waste of money; allowing people to be in possession of explosives, mystifies me…and not to mention the adverse effect on wildlife, pets etc etc. 

We are a nation of dog / cat / wildlife lovers …but only when it suits, it seems!

I’m no killjoy but when you think that there is meant to be a cost of living crisis, I could think of far better ways to spend money rather than let it go up in smoke and flames. We are a strange breed! Anyway…moving on…

So, I am sitting and thinking about New Year’s Eve and my mind is running overtime and then I thought I’d investigate ‘New Year’ poems! I enjoy poetry and when I came across, ‘ Eight beautiful New Year’s poems’, the word ‘BEAUTIFUL’ jumped out at me! 

And so, thinking that I’d have a cuppa and settle down to a quiet ten minutes, enjoying something ‘beautiful’, I started to read this poem, below




Beautiful? I wouldn’t say it was beautiful, would you? More like down to earth or realistic? I wasn’t sure what to make of it really. The final lines made me feel quite sorry for the poet who seems to have resigned himself that the new year will, for him, be as mundane as the old year. Is it like that for most of us?

Personally, as far as the new year is concerned, I like to look forward with some hope, rather than start the new year with a doom and gloom approach. But maybe the poet thinks that if he takes his view then he might be pleasantly surprised if something good does happen! Who knows?!

Meanwhile, I’m bracing myself for the ‘WHIZZ’, ‘BANG’, ‘CRASH’, ‘FIZZ’, ‘SNAP’ ‘CRACKLE’, ‘POP’ and words of that sort …and I’m not talking about breakfast cereal,that’s for sure! 


A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Sal 😁



5 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you, we are at home together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that fireworks are an expensive and troublesome waste of time. I used to enjoy New Year's Eve when I was young and foolish. Now, older and still foolish, I prefer to spend the evening quietly and go to bed early . . . how sad!
    The poem is not beautiful, but realistic, a kind of anti-resolutions thing, I think. It made me smile.
    Happy 2024 to you and yours, and peace and good health as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy New Years Eve, as its my birthday, but I avoid all the organised festivities and particularly dislike the fireworks. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)