Friday 22 December 2023

‘Have you put out the Christmas books?’ he asked!



A few days ago, Nich asked me if I’d ‘put out the Christmas books’ ; he must’ve read my mind as I was about to go through my bookshelves and do just that! You can’t beat a lovely book at Christmas and over the years, I’ve added a few Christmas themed books to my bookshelves. But, at this time of year, I usually gather together a few and they become ‘Coffee table books’, taking a trip to the lounge. These are books into which one can dip in and savour the flavour of Christmas.





One of my favourite books is the ‘Folio Christmas Book’, above, which was an absolute gem of a find in a charity shop in St Marychurch, Torquay! Pennies! I had to look twice and couldn’t believe my luck! Folio books can be sought after and almost always come in slip cases to protect them. I love them.




These three books ( one above and two below) are beautifully illustrated on the covers with the gorgeous designs of Emily Sutton. The first two, are from the, ‘Vintage Classics’ series and these are a must for the Christmas coffee table.




And the third one, written by Katherine Randell, is a children’s book illustrated by Emily Sutton. (But it’s great for adults too!)









I haven’t read these ( German and Scandinavian), yet…I bought them last year and have to admit that the covers appealed! So I’m looking forward to dipping into these.







Being bird lovers, this one is ideal and well worth its place on my coffee table.


And then there is…



As mentioned before, I’m a big New Yorker admirer, having purchased some posters, recently. And this book is a great read! I’ve owned this one for quite a few years and so I’ve read most of what’s in it.





I love the writing of Laurie Lee. I used to use various extracts in my teaching as I found it so inspiring, charming and absolutely delightful. 






A gift from my son a few years ago, this lovely anthology, above, just lends itself to dipping into as does the book below, a gift from my daughter, which is full of recipes and crafts for the festive season. Perfect!




This one’s lovely too…



And this one…



And finally, some very easy reading…





All in all, a great selection! 

5 comments:

  1. It’s interesting to me as someone who does not celebrate Christmas, that none of these books deal with the real meaning of Christmas. I suspect that some rabid shoppers don’t even know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think you have the loveliest collection of Christmas books I've ever seen dear Sal. These are so beautiful, the covers alone being worth spending a lot of time enjoying the details - and I can imagine pages of wonderful reading inside for chilly Winter nights, snug by the fire. I love Christmas but adore Boxing Day and always make it a special reading day...........usually a new cookbook because I always get one from my granddaughter!!!! With a stash such as you have I wouldn't know where to start - perhaps the Dickens, the 12 Birds.....or that lovely looking cookbook Advent!
    Well my dear, it has been a special year, aren't they all, and getting to meet you and charming T this year when visiting home was certainly a highlight. Short and very sweet but always will remain memorable and hopefully we can do it again next time. Meanwhile enjoy your Christmas, stay well , be happy, and Bob and I send very best wishes for the New Year.
    Love and hugs, Mary XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look lovely, I think I'd enjoy reading the Scandinavian one. I've been trying to read the same cheesy romantic novel now for the last couple of years. I'm determined to finally finish it this Christmas. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lovely selection of Christmas books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12 birds of Christmas looks like my cup of tea. What a collection! I love settling in with a big pile of library books :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)