Saturday 2 September 2023

Today’s the day!




Did anyone watch Gardeners’ World, last week, when Adam Frost visited some gardens in Whitstable, Kent? I particularly enjoyed this feature. I always think that gardens situated near the coast, must be quite challenging.






Watching G.W. takes much prep! I always watch the programme with a notebook on my lap, a cuppa by my side, and usually early in the morning before my other half rises. However, this time, I also grabbed my camera (iPhone) and the T.V remote as I tried to capture some of the images on the screen…because as well as all the lovely planting, I spied a vintage laundry sink, very similar to the two that will be arriving, today, in my garden! Way hay! ๐Ÿ˜

How can anyone become so excited over two old laundry sinks? I must be mad.
Mine, I hasten to add, are larger and much deeper than the sink in the photo below..but you get the idea.






Since we visited our friends and I ‘struck a deal’ to buy these two, vintage sinks, I’ve been pondering. I want to do something, ‘ different’…whatever that might be! It would be too easy, and almost lazy, to devote the space to ‘yet more herbs’ or ‘yet more succulents’. I already have two, white, enamel sinks and  three, large old stone containers housing such plants. 





My two, new, old, sinks ( do you see what I did there?! I’m in oxymoron mode!) will be placed one each side of my greenhouse door. The bricks are already in place. But I’m already fretting…as they aren’t lightweight and will require some sack trucks and plenty of strength to move them from the front drive to the far end of the back garden. I certainly won’t be out there, ‘ supervising’! ๐Ÿ˜‚




Meanwhile…I’m after ideas…and lots of them! What would YOU grow in two good sized, vintage laundry sinks? 

I’d appreciate your thoughts and ideas…and I’ll let them all ‘sink in’ before I decide! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜†

Have a very happy weekend! 





 

9 comments:

  1. Call me predictable but I would use two old sinks to plant up miniature alpines. At one time, I used to think my week would never be complete if I missed Gardner's World. However, then I discovered Beechgrove Garden, which I much prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Beechgrove…it’s proper gardening, isn’t it?!

      Delete
  2. Oh Sal, you certainly are the gardener who never stops! My energy for big changes (which really should be addressed!) around the garden has left and I struggle just with the basics, especially this time of year when the oppressive heat never lets up, rain is minimal, mosquitoes are bad! Today we are going out to cut down the 10 foot sunflowers now looking very ragged and untidy. I will set aside the seed heads around the garden for the wildlife to nibble.
    Remainder of the day I'm cleaning out the gazebo and back deck ready for the Labor Day cookout on Monday - probably the last family outdoor shindig for this summer.
    Good luck with the new sinks, know you will come up with something lovely - just mind your back!!!
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I’m doing my best after a setback re illness over the last two years. Yes.I’ll mind my back! ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched Gardeners' World for a long time and keep meaning to get back to it.
    With your sinks, I would 'sink' one into the ground to make a pond. For the other, how about a collection of ferns, or hostas. You could try bonsai, though I know not everyone is keen on that. Lichens, mosses, a bark garden, hedgehog habitat . . . I don't know. I'll be interested to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did consider making one into a small pond! And I like the idea of lichens and mosses etc. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  4. I think I would start with bulbs for spring time to get them working and then work out the best places for them before deciding on plantings. Not a lot of help, sorry.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A water feature maybe? Although think I'd be tempted to plant some grasses. I nearly bought some myself, yesterday. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having read this entertaining post I think my wife and I need to initiate a search for a couple of old sinks! As we get older the garden retains its appeal but the gardening not so much, so the more that is restrained and enclosed is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)