Friday 15 September 2023

Through the Garden Gate



As promised, the second of these ‘Through the..’ books! This one is quite charming as well as somewhat amusing in places!




It features a variety of types of garden





I do find the writer’s description of the parsnip very funny! Personally, I love roast parsnips!








I laughed even more when I read the final paragraph, below, re parsley! 😂






And the writer isn’t too complimentary about modern roses, is she?!




I hope that you can just about read her ideas of the ten delights of a garden:







‘ The best gardens are something of a muddle…‘
  Ah that’ll be mine then!




And I love Laurie Lee’s description, above! This extract is from ‘Cider with Rosie’.

I used various extracts from this book when I was teaching GCSE English. The book stole my heart, especially the chapter, ‘First Light’ ! Do try to read it! 







‘The gardener learns to be, by turns, daring and adventurous, tender and ruthless, meticulous and haphazard, gentle and patient. But above all, he learns to revel in today, while being ever hopeful of tomorrow. That’s certainly me!




Water does transform a garden! Most certainly, the best thing we ever did in a garden, was to make a pond! Within no time at all, the wildlife descended upon it! 




A delightful book!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)