Thursday 17 August 2023

You reap what you sow!




Whilst everything in the garden is behaving itself and the roses are now having a gorgeous,second flush, my thoughts have been turning to next year’s garden….and seeds! I’ve already been collecting seeds from various seed heads that have dried very nicely, such as Foxgloves and Astrantia; these have been sown. However, I’ve also been collecting packets of seeds from elsewhere, when I’ve noticed ‘offers’.


 

In spite of searching, I’ve not been successful in finding a decent and big enough seed box/ tin/ container and so, at the moment, I’ve made a temporary container from an old shoe box. 





My favourite, ‘bought’ seeds, simply because of the very appealing packets, are those from Kew Seeds. They aren’t cheap but I waited until I saw them on offer and then swooped like a hawk!  πŸ¦….  The packets are far too good to throw away when the seeds have been used! So I’ll use them, somehow, at a later date.





Sweet Peas are a ‘must’ and anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely HAVE to grow them! The scent, throughout the summer, both inside and outside the house, is sublime! 




Sunflowers ( I seem to be lacking in this area, with only two packets at the mo) are usually on the list, although I far prefer the dwarf varieties! I don’t see the point of growing something that grows so tall that you can’t see it!  Why strain your neck? However, whichever I grow, the seeds are always handy for the birds.





Nigella are easy. I’ve grown them for many years and you get ‘double bubble’ because the dried seeds heads are a feature in themselves and every bit as good as the flowers…delightful!





What can I say about Nasturtiums that hasn’t already been said?  You can stagger the sowing times so that you get flowers all through the summer and into the autumn. I just poke them into containers in a random manner…and then in no time at all, hey presto! 




I didn’t grow my own Poppies this year but my son gave me some rather lovely, purple Opium Poppies that he had grown, Mine have done well; his were all eaten by slugs ! πŸ˜†




The Cosmos that I grew have been lovely but I didn’t sow enough seeds…so note to self: must grow more next year.




I didn’t grow any Zinnia this year but I have some ready and waiting for next year.
 



I’ve already sown some Forget me Not...a pink variety, which have germinated…but I need to sow more. I’ve sown Honesty seeds already and have some fine plants, doing very well. They too produce lovely, papery, seed pods after flowering and within these seed pods are the seeds. 

I’ve not yet sown Pansies or Wallflowers. I do prefer the perennial Erysimum to the biennial wallflower as the choice of colours tend to be more subtle, pastel and pleasing to the eye, but it’s personal choice, I guess.




I’ve not grown Calendula this year but have plans to do so, in my raised bed, which is being enlarged fairly soonish! I’ve only room for one raised bed, which I’ll devote to Sweet Peas, Dahlias, Calendula and a few others for cutting…oh and also some Comfrey in one corner. Comfrey is great for making liquid feed and I’ve been doing that ever since we moved in, last year. Now and again, I also pour the feed into my two compost bins; the home made compost, over the year, has been rich and lush! A great success!

Those are just some of the seeds in my show box! There are quite a few more, including yellow rattle and various wild flower seeds…so watch this space and roll on next year! πŸ˜€

Meanwhile, what you like to sow? Do you tend to stick with the tried and tested, old favourites or do you experiment with new varieties?





6 comments:

  1. Your garden must look an absolutely picture. I love all those plans. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not experimental and prefer to stick with something I know has a fair chance of survival. 'New' varieties are very tempting, and I know they have been tested over several years before becoming commercially available. I enjoy seeing them in other gardens, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually there is a local project here to naturalize grass verges on roads and highways and we are gathering wildflower seeds for this worthwhile and long overdue activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great selection. I didn't get around to growing any sweet peas or sunflowers at all this year. I must remember to start earlier next season AND to make sure I grow some nasturtiums as well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all your seeds grow successfully! The Kew Seeds packets are beautiful, certainly worth saving. I like your index cards too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very exciting waiting and waiting for the plants to flower but if all else fails, you have the pretty seed packets to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)