Sunday 20 August 2023

Travels and history!


 
These are the books by my chair, right now, and I have to admit that, almost ashamedly, throughout the spring and summer months, my reading takes a back seat as the garden steps forward and pushes itself into top spot for my attention! But I love books and I’m fortunate to have a room where I can accommodate many! 



I was reading another blog, only last week, and the owner of the blog mentioned John Steinbeck’s, ‘Travels with Charley’. Having taught, Steinbeck’s ‘ Of Mice and Men’ for years, as it was on the GCSE curriculum, (And what a superb book that is!), I’d somehow missed reading, ‘Travels with Charley’. I just happened to mention this to my son…and, ‘ I don’t suppose you have the book?’ And of course, being an avid reader, he put his hand on it instantly as he’d purchased it not long ago! I’ve borrowed it to read…and it’s brilliant! Here are a few snippets that have caught my eye so far…




‘ Thus, I discovered that I did not know my own country’ …now this really did resonate with me!

 My father’s words, uttered many times when I was young, immediately came into my head: 

“ It’s important that you know your own country”

And he didn’t just say this, he acted on his own words and he made sure that my sister and I did just that! 

Our family’s ‘grand tour’, is frequently a topic of great discussion. One summer holidays, when I was about 12 or 13, off we went, travelling in an old, Ford Consul, driving from South Devon, up one side of England and back down the other, (but dipping into many bits in the middle too!) It was an amazing experience and there is hardly a castle, cathedral, ancient monument, that I’ve not visited. From walking on Hadrian’s Wall and visiting Bamburgh Castle, to standing near the spot where King William ll ( aka William Rufus) was killed whilst hunting in the New Forest…( asking,‘Was he murdered or was it an accident?’)…and so much more! I am forever grateful to my dad!

Steinbeck’s journey, of course, was very different to mine. Firstly, he mainly travelled alone, as in there were no other people travelling with him. And he was more focused on looking at the views and the changes in attitudes in his country, whereas my trip was firmly based on the history of my country.




However, John Steinbeck wasn’t completely alone, as can be seen in this snippet below!




I don’t want to reveal too much about his travels around America, but being West Country born and bred, the extract below caught my eye because I didn't know that John Steinbeck actually visited the West Country, in England. 

Back in 1959, before his lone trip around America, he and his wife, Elaine, occupied Discove cottage in the hamlet of Redlynch, near Bruton, Somerset. The cottage was found for them by the playwright, Robert Bolt, who was a teacher at Millfield School at that time. Here, Steinbeck worked at producing  a new version of the 15th century work by Sir Thomas Malory, made famous by the pioneer printer, William Caxton, who published it as ‘Le Morte d’Arthur’ in 1486.

At the time, Steinbeck said that he felt more at home here than in any place during his lifetime and that he would remember Bruton with great affection. Steinbeck’s desk can be found in Bruton museum.

Interestingly, John Steinbeck also mentions Dartmoor, which does suggest that he, possibly, visited here, as well.
 





If you haven’t read, ‘Travels with Charley’, I highly recommend this book! It’s an easy read and one which you won’t want to put down!

Meanwhile…






I’m also working my way through this book, ‘ Roman Britain. A New History.’ By Guy de la Bedoyere. 




I wanted a book that would give me a really good overview re Roman Britain…but one that was not too academic or ‘heavy’? Once more, I asked my son, (who studied archaeology for his BA and MA) and, once more, he was able to help me!





This is very readable, with plenty of illustrations, photos, maps etc to keep one’s interest; it covers the many aspects of Roman Britain. The writing style is very easy going and although the writer certainly knows his subject, he is able to offer his knowledge in a pleasing, non arrogant way. It’s been well thought out for someone who has little knowledge on the subject but at the same time, it appeals to someone who might be studying at a higher level.











I’m certainly enjoying it! And I already have the next book in place, in readiness!





5 comments:

  1. You have some very interesting reading there. I'm sure the garden can spare you for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some super books there - very tempted by the Anglo Saxon one and my son is doing a course next year on the Romans at uni so the Roman book could be a good introduction and I can read it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read literally every word that Steinbeck ever published (save perhaps essays or features in magazines in his early life) and I have most of his great works on my shelves. He is a great writer indeed. I feel the same way about Somerset Maugham from your side of the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curiously I've read "Travels With Charlie" recently, having unaccountably missed it when I thought I'd read everything by Steinbeck many years ago. Another travel book about the US which catches my fancy is "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. As you may have guessed by his name he's from the indigenous population and, though it's not the greatest literature, he tells his story in a straightforward way about the people he meets along his journey. The title refers to his liking for travelling away from the main (red) highways on the road map and he can be relied upon to visit insignificant places with strange names - places with names like Dimebox or Nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These both look like excellent books,. thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)