Saturday 29 July 2023

Snippets from my childhood …

 



Times are quite hard for many, right now, as both inflation and interest rates have risen; prices, too, have shot up. Yet, I often wonder how my own parents managed when they were first married. 

Here they are in the photo above; it’s 1949. I know that they had little money during the early years of married life.




And here, above, is the tiny house in which I was born, a few years later. (I don’t have an old photo and so had to search online …the house hasn’t changed apart from the front door, the satellite dish and the car parked outside !) Apparently, if you had a bathroom then you had your baby at home! This house was a ‘two up, two down’, small, pokey, with no garden but just a back yard, which is where I am in the photo below. We had no carpets, no central heating and little furniture! The house was on a hill and how on earth my mum managed to push me and this heavy pram, home from town, I’ll never know! 




Having no garden, my mum would frequently take me to the local parks and, in fact, Newton Abbot was, and still is, very fortunate to have a number of parks. My first steps were taken in Courtenay Park, when the band was playing in the bandstand!




Here are my mum ( heavily pregnant with my sister) , my dad and myself, in Courtenay Park. And below, here I am preparing for Wimbledon, in our back yard! One can never start too young! Advantage Sal! New balls please! 🎾  🎾 🎾 



When I was three years old, we moved across town to a slightly bigger house. It was a semi in an avenue of ten houses and we were number 10, with fields behind us and fields to the right of our house; it was very pleasant.





Here I am with my little sister; in the same road were two more pairs of sisters…so, I give to you, from left to right, Marina, Christine, Sally, Jenny, Hazel and Teresa. I often wonder what happened to the other sisters!





Not long after we moved, my dad decided to train to be a teacher. This meant that times were really hard. My mum couldn’t go back to work as my sister was still very young, so she used to take in French students during the summer months and she also ran a couple of catalogues during the rest of the year. I remember meals consisting of cheese on toast… or soup…and treats were few and far between, But I guess that we were still better off than many!



Fast forward to when I was almost 8 years old. My dad was now teaching full time, my mum was doing supply teaching and we moved, again, to another part of Newton Abbot. The bungalow was brand new and the best bit was that it backed on to woodland and there was a common at the top of the road. It was delightful. Idyllic! And we spent five years here. I was very much an outdoors child and having the woods and the common so close by, was simply wonderful.





Here’s my mum doing her bit in the front garden with our old, Qualcast lawnmower ! We also had a good sized back garden where my dad grew vegetables.



                      
  I think I’m around 11 years old in the photo above.




With both of my parents now teaching full time, after almost 5 years in our bungalow, we were on the move again. It was 1965. And this is the house that we all loved. It too backed on to woodland, and as well as this it had a huge garden. A far cry from that tiny terraced house where I was born!




I’m 14 or 15 in the above photo. Much has happened since then! I’ve lived in Hertfordshire, Hampshire and Surrey before returning to South Devon. And I now live a stone’s throw from the garden above. It was like coming home when we moved across town, last year, to the area where I lived as a child! And now that I’m here, my mind often travels back to my childhood and I think about how hard my mum and dad worked to make life better for us all.






7 comments:

  1. It’s probably a story replicated for many families. Hard work does have a way of paying off, doesn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! A strong work ethic runs through our family and I watch my own children carry this on through their lives..it’s heartening!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post! It's good to look back and realise how different life was and to understand how much we take for granted these days. Everyone looks so happy in your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea for a post and its great you have so many photos from your childhood. I remember we had little money too when I was little but num and dad somehow made sure we had as nice a childhood as they could afford with day's out and a two week summer holiday. Mum and Dad started married life living with my father's parents while they saved for a house which they moved into 3 years later just before I was born. It looked very similar to your parents second house - the semi detached. I loved being outdoors too and we had a common near us and were in those days near the counryside. Playing tennis sounds familiar too :)
    A great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We certainly made our own amusement when we were young…and we were never bored! Although we were quite poor, we were still privileged, being brought up surrounded by countryside and not in an inner city. I look back at my childhood with much fondness.

      Delete
  4. What a super post. You are lucky to have so many photographs of your different homes and also such lovely memories. We lived in a small terrace in Leicester, no bath room and an outside loo. It did have a small garden surrounded by a tall wall at the back. We left there when I was five years old. I remember an old tin bath on the scullery wall and being bathed in the old belfast sink in there. How times change over the years:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely series of photos of you and your sister and the places where you've lived!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)