Wednesday 19 July 2023

Re- wilding…or not!

 


This is such an interesting debate and one that I think will rumble on for some time! Alan Titchmarsh has made his views very clear here .

In essence, what he is saying is that whilst he agrees with rewilding in certain settings, such as river banks, woodlands, farms, we need to be careful in our domestic gardens. He says that it is worrying that there’s a misconception that only wild, native plants are valuable for wildlife and the environment. He says:


 “The garden is patently far richer – and for far longer – in the variety of insect and bird species it sustains…As custodians of the botanical riches of our gardens, domestic gardeners have a duty – and a glorious one at that – to ensure the survival of this unparalleled resource. Should a current fashionable – and ill-considered – trend deplete our gardens of their botanical riches then we have presided over a diminution in biodiversity of catastrophic proportions.”


And I believe that he’s right! As a lifelong gardener, I’ve always found that the word, ‘COMPROMISE’ is key. And so that’s always been my approach.

        🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Many garden plants are nectar rich and they are vital for our wildlife; plants such as Crocus, Forget-me-not, Pulmonaria, Campanula, Honesty, Gernaium, Foxgloves, Aster, Buddleia, Penstemon…and so many more..and not forgetting herbs such as Lavender, Rosemary, Thyme etc..all play their part.

Thus, I’ve always grown plants that will provide for our wildlife for as much of the year as possible…and that includes the winter months, which I think people tend to forget!

Most bees, for instance, are active from March until September but there are some that emerge early when the winters are mild and Buff Tailed Bumblebee queens will, occasionally, start to nest in the autumn, rather than hibernating and they establish a winter colony. So it’s very important to have winter flowering plants…and plants such as winter flowering honeysuckle and winter flowering clematis, are ideal.


             πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»


As I said, I think there’s much to debate re this issue.

I also think that the trend to re-wild one’s garden, could be an excuse for the lazy amongst us, to use as an excuse! People often need educating! 

Furthermore, some might argue that if we go too much one way with the re-wilding idea and promote it to a great extent, then nurseries and garden centres will find that their sales will drop!

I guess that it comes down to how you interpret re-wilding! If you see it as just abandoning your garden and allowing nature to take over then  I think that’s the wrong way to look at it. If you see it as a way to manage your garden but in a less precious way, where you can use ‘the best of both worlds’  then I think that’s the better way to tackle one’s garden!

Meanwhile, I’m just going to carry on in the way that suits me and the wildlife in my garden! And the first job today, is to find the little nuisance that is munching my recently sown Honesty plants! 

Happy gardening!


                         πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»πŸŒ»



1 comment:

  1. The winner of the Chelsea Flower Show last year, was a 'wild garden', I think, and it looked an absolute mess. We try to grow insect and bird friendly plants and shrubs. Some of those, like clover and Herb Robert, could be classed as weeds but they are valuable for bees and other pollinators and we like them. We shall never have a neat garden, but it's interesting., though not as full of wild life as I would like. The decline in insects is quite shocking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)