Thursday 20 July 2023

Now you Sedum…now you don’t! 😁



 


In the autumn, last year, I grew some Sedum from cuttings. It was was so easy! You can root them in water or you can just pop the cutting into the compost, which is what I did.




I’ve never really grown that many Sedum in my garden but I became fascinated when I used to wander through the churchyard where we lived previously and the old walls were full of these plants…mostly the yellow variety…possibly Sedum Acre. Old walls, and the plants that grow in them, have always interested me.





My cuttings ‘took’ very quickly and at the moment they are sitting in a sunny spot, in a clay bowl, where I work.





True Sedum, or stonecrop as they are often known, are fleshy leaved succulents. They are very drought tolerant as they originate from dry locations. And not only that, they produce nectar rich flowers which attract pollinating insects. The smaller, lower growing varieties, make great ground cover.




Another Sedum, that I have in a pot, above, is ‘Autumn Joy’; it’s not in flower yet but is doing very nicely.

And, meanwhile, below is one that I really have my eye on and this is ‘Strawberries and Cream’.
 


My knowledge of Sedum is somewhat lacking but something that I hope to improve...especially with the dry summers that we seem to be experiencing; they certainly seem to be an ideal plant for the garden.




3 comments:

  1. I am sure I have seen sedum used to make a living roof on garden sheds. They are a plant I tend to favour. They can make some very pretty displays indeed as your pots show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sedums are very accommodating and seem to grow everywhere. I like 'Strawberries and Cream' - it's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like sedums and have found too that cuttings are easy. I also love old stone walls and the plants that gain a foothold there. Strawberries and Cream looks stunning :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)