Thursday 6 May 2021

Early May in the garden...and what’s occurring?

 




These delightful plants are Dodecatheon Meadia but they are often known as Shooting Stars. They bloom in late spring time, for about a month, and then they die down when the summer arrives. I’ve had these for a few years and I grow them in pots but I think I’ll plant them in my garden, in a partly shady place, for the future. As long as they sit in moist, well drained soil, during the growing season, they will be happy. They prefer dry conditions when dormant.




Meanwhile, some more of these lovely yellow ‘Antoinette’ tulips have bloomed. I’m enjoying these as they provide a jolly splash of sunshine, here and there.




And then... the one we’ve all been waiting for...I call it ‘Wisteria Hysteria’. Coinciding with some very windy weather, it has remained intact and not been blown to goodness knows where! We are fairly sheltered and so don’t get the wind damage that often.




The sweet perfume is a joy.







What I love about Primulas is that they are all so very unassuming; they don’t make a song and dance but  just sit contentedly in their place, quietly waiting to be admired. This pretty Primula Japonica sits neatly in a small rockery. 




Not too far away, sits another pink delight...Dicentra spectabilis (or Bleeding Hearts as it is commonly known.) Such a popular plant with gardeners, this one oozes elegance, I think! 





Finally, I’ve been nurturing these Sweet White Violets. I split one plant which I have had for a couple of years and now I have four. These are exquisite little plants which prefer part shade. My plan is to collect the seeds and go into mass production! 😁

So what’s occurring in your garden?

1 comment:

  1. All so beautiful. My wisteria has no blooms this year - often happens for some reason - but still pretty with the greenery draped over the arbor we built for it. Does yours climb on your house Sal? Any photos - I would love to see it!

    Have a fun weekend. I just posted on not being able to get to Devon as planned this month - hopefully later in the year for sure!
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)