Wednesday 14 April 2021

The pleasure ...and the pain...!


 

This is the place that I’ve visited hundreds of times since the age of about 13. The setting, from the air, is idyllic. It’s the home of ‘The Gulls’ aka Torquay United. 

My allegiance began when my mum began teaching in the infant school behind the football ground. It has sadly been knocked down and the secondary school made larger. But in the 1960s, that little school helped me to ‘ply my trade’ so to speak, as I spent many happy days in my mum’s classroom, helping her and the children. I suppose it was inevitable that I’d go off to train to be a teacher.

During one summer term, my mum did a football project! Well, that was ‘right up my street’...and definitely right up the street where mum taught! The children knew all of the players and would chat to them through the playground railings...all on first name terms! ‘66 fever had taken the country by storm and football was ‘proper popular’! 

Anyway, a trip to the football ground was organised..no coach needed for travel; just a few steps across the lane and we were there! Frank O’Farrell, the then manager, accommodated us. Andy Donnelly, the then goalie, was there to talk to the children. What fun we all had! You can get a lot of maths out of a visit to a football ground! Armed with trundle wheels etc, we measured the pitch and all sorts of other tasks. The art work that my mum did with the children, after the trip, was amazing, not to mention the creative writing. In fact this was the perfect example of how to use what you have around you and use it to its full potential. (Another example of using the local amenities was when my mum took the class to Kent’s Cavern. I can remember the amazing work that she did with the children as well as students from Exeter University who were involved in that project. But I digress...)

So...as I was saying...Plainmoor, the home of ‘The Gulls’ has been a second home to me. When Nich, my son was about 7 or 8, I did a very cruel thing...I took him to watch Torquay United! 🀣 This has led to a lifetime of some pleasure but a lot of pain too! However, if I’ve suffered then why shouldn’t he? πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚. Mind you, we’ve been to Wembley a couple of times and not many ‘little clubs’ get to do that! 



When Nich was at primary school, the school did a football themed fete, so my sister and I manned a craft stall.I contacted the club, borrowed some kit and hey presto..(I’m on the right)




So as you can see...the pleasure from supporting Torquay United has been...enormous! πŸ˜† 

And, when Nich came back from his trip around Europe, after having graduated from Uni, we whisked him off to York...a trip carefully planned by me to coincide with Torquay United playing at York! LOL! As you can see, there is such delight in my other half’s face! So further pleasure gained!πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ I think we were the only Torquay supporters there, on a bitterly cold Saturday afternoon in November. But at least we won! 





 


Nich has been my ‘partner in crime’ for many years. Nich once said it was ‘cool’ to go to footy with his mum!  On many a Saturday, we’ve consoled each other after a match...but at the same time, we’ve tried to make the match day experience, ‘fun’! By that I mean that we have an amble around St Marychurch (a delightful precinct near to Plainmoor); we have a snack and a drink; we browse in the lovely bookshop there and also in various other small shops and we end up in Tessier Gardens for a wander. That’s a hidden gem of a place. Delightful. All of this has become a habit and we laugh that we do the ‘culture’ first...then there’s the football!

Of course, all of this came to a sudden halt, over a year ago. So we’ve had to make do with paying to view the matches on the T.V. It’s better than nothing but not as good as the real thing...especially when your team is riding high at the top of the division! The upside is that you do have the comfort of your own armchair in the winter, with the kettle at hand! Plainmoor can be the coldest place; the wind blows through like a bitter, bullying beast and the seats are so uncomfortable. 

So there we were, last night, ready to watch a very important ‘top of the table clash’. Me in my house, Nich in his. Torquay playing away at Sutton. The picture in the screen was ropey, you couldn’t hear the commentary and the first half was fraught with technical difficulties! We all lost the transmission for a while and sat hoping that we wouldn’t miss a goal! Luckily, the problems were sorted out and the second half was ok...and someone did score! Woo hoo! No prizes for guessing which team! And our brilliant captain, ASA Hall, headed the ball into the net.



Whether we are promoted, this season, remains to be seen! With 9 more matches, it’s going to be close! 

The pleasure and the pain will continue, as it always does.😁😫

But whatever happens, I’ll be there as soon as I can, in unusual place, with my usual companion, cheering on the team that I’ve supported for very many years..and hopefully for many more to come. 

Up The Gulls! 





5 comments:

  1. What a delightful post, in so many ways!

    Memories of your wonderful Mum, and how she was certainly, a fantastic teacher.

    And memories with your son, which are priceless.

    And the Gulls fun, continues to this day.

    You my Dear, are a talented writer. And what a 'cutie' you were!!!! -smile-

    🌿🌷🌱🌷🌿

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll second that

    ReplyDelete
  3. We loved this post - Bob especially as although he's here far away from Torquay, he's a Gulls fan because of my cousin David who goes to every match, and now takes his grandson with him.
    I've never seen Plainmoor from the air - great aerial photo (and my Dad was from Brixham). I also forwarded this to my brother in France, huge fan when growing up in Torquay!

    Thanks Sal - but I'm doubly homesick now!
    BYW - I love the Nature Table painting -
    Up The Gulls definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mary. 😁

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)