Saturday 24 April 2021

Garden goings ons..and ons...and ons.....




I took the camera for a walk, yesterday, with the aim of concentrating on the wild flowers that are very much making their presence felt! It’s quite astounding just how many varieties there are and I didn’t snap them all! 

Green Alkanet, Bluebells, Ragged Robin, Honesty, Lamium, Primrose, Campion, White Deadnettle, Cowslip, Dandelion, Greater Celandine, Daisies, Periwinkle...to name a few.


 



Today, I had other things to do...pricking out Sunflowers, for starters. I decided to grow shorter varieties this year. I personally think that the really tall ones are a pain and a gimmick, hence my decision to sow the shorter varieties. We shall see! I’m going to plant these in the middle of my raised beds when they are a bit taller.





I also planted the Ranunculus and Anemone, from Farmer Gracy...these should give some lovely colour later on in the summer.




I have my favourite, little areas in our garden that bring a smile to my face every time that I pass by...




The Tulips have been glorious this year but here’s a strange thing. These multi headed, yellow, ‘Antoinette’ Tulips are growing out of one stem...apparently, it’s quite common with this variety!




 I’m pretty chuffed with my herb/ saxifrage/succulents/ trug , having given it a bit of TLC, recently...






Finally, I’ve planted four new plants. Three of these are shrubs, which I’ve put in some new, large terracotta pots. I wanted to add more fragrance to our patio area as well as attracting the bees and butterflies.

When in flower, they will look like this:

1. Daphne Cneorum...described as ‘intensely fragrant!’




2. Deutzia Raspberry Sundae....described as ‘sweetly scented’.




3. Philadelphus Snowbelle...described as having ‘a wonderful perfume’.



4. This is called Honeysuckle x heckrotti American Beauty...said to be ‘very fragrant’. This one will be planted in the smaller, back garden against a fence.




So as well as ‘Watch this space’...it might well be ‘Hold your nose!’ 

3 comments:

  1. Sal, I'm blown away with all the garden beauty and color. You certainly have discovered some awesome gardening supply outlets online.
    I love Daphne and Deutzia, and the Philadelphus Snowbell is one I will look for - I am really interested in more white blooming perfumed shrubs.
    Happy days in the garden - hard work but worth it right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I started the second paragraph of your post I thought I was reading either the failed suggestions for Snowdrop and her dwarves or the cast of characters in a Shakespeare play. Later I read what I had taken for a Hollyhock no Hollywood roll of stars.
    That aside, Delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much colour around! I'm pleased to see you doing sunflowers and I look forward to seeing them in the summer. I am not bothering to do my own this year, I can never get them to stand up straight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)