Saturday 10 August 2024

Dartmoor…


  

Yesterday, we did a circular road trip around Dartmoor. We are so lucky to have this on our doorstep amd we never tire of the moors. We took the Moretonhampstead road to Whiddon Down, stopped for coffee at a garden centre just outside Okehampton, before pressing onwards.




I always think that Okehampton is a bit of a strange place…a passing through place. We didn’t stop to look around. We journeyed along the left hand side of Dartmoor as you look at the map, turning off just before Tavistock for the return stretch home.





I couldn’t understand what on earth my other half was on about when he suddenly said..

‘ Sal, do you think they are guilty?’





And then of course, I saw the sign!
English National Sheepdog Trials! 😁 😂





Widecombe in the Moor was busy…but not as busy as it will be on Sept 10th…




And you can read all about what’s going on at the famous fair, here:


















When we reached Haytor, we could see Torbay and the sea.






Was a good trip…but, of course, it’s always good to get home!









7 comments:

  1. I have not been to Widecombe fair since the 70's, we had the most perfect day out there, and I purchased a new dinner service, which I used for years. Love your photo's so many childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the photos of Beautiful Dartmoor.
    I've always wondered what it's like to live there in winter, I'm not likely to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a wonderful area and your photographs are lovely. Sheepdog trials :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous views. You are lucky to live in such a beautiful area. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful countryside on a lovely day, great to have that nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! Needless to say, tons of memories for me looking at these pix dear Sal - especially the ones of Torbay from Haytor Rock - I climbed it so many times as a child/teen!!!
    Hope all good with you both - Bob is readying for his surgery Aug. 21 - the waiting is causing anxiety but we're staying very busy.
    Hugs from us both. Keep your garden going - mine looks terrible following the 3-day horrendous rains last week as Hurricane Debby crawled through North Carolina!
    Mary xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos, it's many years since I last visited Dartmoor

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)