Friday 12 April 2024

A surprise gift…

Two weeks ago, we gave away our lounge suite...as in two leather chairs and two leather sofas. Someone got a bargain! We decided that we wanted to give to a charity as our contribution for this year. Everything was in excellent condition but didn’t suit our colour scheme and thus that was the plan. However…

Could we find a charity to take it all? One told me that they were inundated with sofas and that it would be quite some time before they could accommodate any of it. My husband tried too...no luck. Even the local council wouldn’t take it all…due to two chairs having electrical recliners. 

Time was getting on and we had to try to engineer both the disposal and the delivery of our new furniture so that we didn’t end up sitting on the two camp chairs,  that Nich had loaned us, for too long.

Thus, we were almost getting desperate, as having downsized, we had nowhere to store the leather furniture. So I took photos and resorted to using Marketplace, saying that I really wanted to give it to someone who was just setting up home. Thinking back to my own first home, when we only had two deckchairs on which to sit, I knew that someone would really appreciate it.

That didn’t quite go to plan though. I had a message from an older lady, in Plymouth, saying that although they didn’t fit my criteria  would I consider them anyway. I said that I would, as long as she could organise a courier…which she did.

Anyway…swiftly moving on…

On Wednesday, the doorbell rang and there was a parcel. Protesting to my husband that I hadn’t ordered anything (!), I could see that it was obviously a Rose, from Harkness Roses…appropriately named ‘ Thank You’. Inside, was a card with a message from the lady who had received the furniture.

And this is, hopefully, what the Rose will give me this summer…



It’s rather lovely, don’t you think?

Meanwhile, I’ve just come in from the garden. In bloom, right now are:





Strangely, my tulips have been all over the place this spring! I had some that flowered in March and have long gone! I have some flowering now..and some still in bud. I particularly love this one:









I’m especially pleased that the Honesty, sown last year, is flowering…




Later on, we are going to settle down (on the new furniture, which btw is a duck egg colour!) and watch Oppenheimer. It’s a film that I’ve been longing to watch and as there’s been so much rubbish on the tv, just lately, I hope that it doesn’t disappoint! 

Meanwhile, I do hope that you have a happy weekend! 😁




3 comments:

  1. Lovely rose, a perfect surprise, and your tulips are so colourful. I have tried growing honesty and failed each time. Enjoy your film and new furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rose is the perfect gift. Tulips are so varied and colourful and seem to bloom for such a long time. I must have a look in our jungle and see if the honesty has come up again. I can't believe it's Saturday again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice surprise and a kind thought by the lady. I'm glad everything worked out well as things don't always work out as you expect. Lovely flowers, things seem to be flowering well after all the rain.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)