Friday 29 September 2023

Oh to be in England…




Angry or what? Sycamore Gap. How could anyone do such a stinking, rotten thing? You could feel the anger across the country when the news broke that some delinquent had managed to destroy what was an iconic landmark in our beautiful country.




Anyway, moving on…
Many years ago, I wrote a similar blog post to this and so I thought I’d repeat it. I love the country in which I live!



I’ve mentioned before that when I was about 13 years old, I was taken on a grand tour of England. It was during one summer that we ‘escaped’, from Devon ! My dad drove us up one side of England and back down the other, with occasional diversions into the middle, taking in the many beautiful historical sites that our country has to offer. He was history mad and it was one of my favourite subjects at school, too. 

This was a fantastic opportunity to really get to know England and probably one that I did not fully appreciate at the time but one that I most certainly do now.

 I can say that I have set foot in almost every cathedral in England! I love Salisbury Cathedral for its elegant spire and Lincoln Cathedral for its presence and beautiful sounding organ. I love Winchester Cathedral, as one Christmas I was standing in the cathedral and the choir started to sing; it was absolutely beautiful and I found myself crying! York Minster is massive with a presence that is almost indescribable. Exeter has a special place in my heart even though I wouldn’t choose it as the most beautiful. Ely, Gloucester, Norwich, Canterbury…they all trip off the tongue as I really enjoyed visiting those…and not forgetting St Paul’s …and oh so many more! The beauty of these buildings, inside and out, leave me speechless and leave me standing in awe…and wonder.

And then there are castles…



I’ve also visited so many castles in this country. I absolutely adored Bamburgh Castle, for the setting...and I marvelled at the spectacular iron age hill fort of Maiden Castle... I’ve tramped around this a few times!




I've also stood on many former battlefields (with my imaginary battle axe and mace!)



 I have traipsed along Hadrian’s Wall...or at least part of it!




I have stood near the spot in the New Forest, where William Rufus was killed.

You name it, I have been there and I have probably done it...all when I was 13!

When you are 13, just growing out of your Bunty and Judy annuals (remember them?), discovering football and boys (but not necessarily in that order!) you really aren't too bothered about who shot who and where... or where the Magna Carta was signed (Yes, I've been there too!)😁

You see, growing up as a teenager in the 60s was a 'lorra lorra' fun..all those fashion trends to keep up with (mini skirts and hot pants!) and all those Beatles/Stones lyrics to learn.

And then there was the 1966 World Cup and England went wild! I spent ages making a scrapbook because I found that I could draw World Cup Willie, (the mascot that is!) really well!

However, amidst all of that trivia, my dad insisted that we should know our own country. He actually felt quite strongly that we should. And my parents had this lovely book to guide us through our fabulous summer tour…not any old book but this book. It's still in my bookcase today. And I love books. Here it is:





Even at 13, I treasured this book! I taught myself all about the counties of our country and so much more (because the book also includes Wales and Scotland.) And, needless to say, it was the beautiful colour plates that I found so enchanting. So charming. I would get completely lost in those lovely pictures. Poking about the oast houses and orchards of Kent was my favourite pastime! And to see them in real life brought me such joy!




I know that my love for my country, England, stems from my dad, that fantastic summer holiday trip and this wonderful book. I would so love to do that trip again, one day.

I don't yearn for holidays sitting on foreign beaches; that would bore me silly. That's just not me. But I do yearn for finding out as much as I can about my own country, England.

 I thank my mum and my dad for those fabulous experiences.... and the memories!


So, I’ve set a little quiz, for fun! 😁

Which English counties do you think that each of these pics below represent?
There are ten to work out.

Put your answers on the comments page for this post please…that is if you’d like to take part.


Here goes:


1.


2.

3.



4.



5.



6.



7.




8.



9.



10.

Easy ?! ;-) 😂



6 comments:

  1. Love this post. I think we must be a similar age 😻. I remember being in Truro cathedral when they were rehearsing for a concert. Such a magical experience. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That moron deprived the rest of the population their rightful patrimony. What a disgraceful, sickening act. I hope he faces some serious consequences for this despicable conduct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such sad news about the tree. I was only there last month.
    Your dad gave you an amazing experience and some life long memories. A wonderful gift. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't believe that someone would do something so crass as to destroy an historic tree. What a sad person that must be.
    Lovely memories evoked by your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sal, I don't know about the tree - must look it up!
    This is a fabulous post - sorry I don't have free time right now to play the game!
    I like your way of thinking re: seeing England's cooler countryside rather than getting sunburnt on some hotter country's beach, haha!
    Just e-mailed you back - pardon me re-naming you ! I'm in such a rush today - I was thinking of my cousin Sue when I saw your S!!!!!!!
    Hope we can meet up!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so sad to see the Sycamore destroyed and sadly it's representative of how this country now seems to treat nature. Edinburgh council has recently destroyed a whole woodland and removed trees from a park and alongside a a road to create a cyclepath,

    That looks a lovely book. I may come back and try to identify all the counties, I recognise some of them for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)