Saturday 26 August 2023

Back to the garden…


 

It’s back to the garden today! It’s a bank holiday weekend and we never stray very far, here in South Devon, as it does become rather busy out there! 

I’ve been potting and pottering as well as taking note of what’s occurring. The Pansies have been lovely…and there’s nothing like a host of cheery faces to greet one first thing in the morning.




The Sunflowers, too, have been glorious. I chose a variety of shorter Sunflowers this year.







I’m in love with this Allium…it’s Allium hollandicum ‘Little Sapphire’. It’s quite neat and compact and the bees love it.




This plant, below, has only just started to flower… ‘Ceratostigma plumbaginoides’. A low growing herbaceous perennial that offers rich blue flowers in late summer and then in the autumn the leaves turn a reddish purple…should be quite a sight!





And another plant that should be quite a sight, is this Sedum, ‘Autumn Joy’. It’s been in bud for what seems like forever, but now there is a pink tinge to the buds and I can hear it shouting… I’m on my way! 





And talking of Sedum, my little bowl of cuttings is doing very nicely…




And I’ve been growing some more Sedum plants, just for the fun of it….





There is certainly plenty of interest even though August is just about done…and don’t you just love it when plants mingle together, as in this photo below. Poppy head meets Sunflower head. And very architectural they are too. I’m sure that they will be very happy together!




Have a happy weekend!










6 comments:

  1. Good plan to stay close to home on a holiday weekend when the crazies are out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Sal, you certainly have a green thumb! These flowers and plants are beautiful and look so healthy. Here, where we have one of the hottest summers ever, everything is fried and just about over -
    April, May and early June are the best, most colorful, gardening months, by August we just have to give up sadly!
    I noticed a squirrel had bitten off a fairly large sunflower head yesterday, dragged it to a low wall and obviously sat there and spent quite a while taking out the seeds and having a feast!
    Enjoy the weekend even though staying home - hope the weather is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avoid the grockles, at all costs! Your garden plants look so lovely. I love pansies, though - they always cheer me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, so much colour which does us all good. I was passing a house in the neighbourhood recently and stopped to admire the blue plumbago flowers peeking over their fence and before I knew it, the owner had dashed off, got a spade and dug up a piece of it, so we now have one in our garden. I'm pleased to say it has settled in and we can now look forward to seeing the Autumn leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also stay close to home on Bank Holiday weekends as there are too many people out and about. I love the photo of the poppy and sunflower together. Sedums here are turning slightly pink now:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden plants look lovely, especially those alliums!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)