Saturday 8 July 2023

So…what’s been occurring?

 




Today, I picked my sixth bunch of Sweet Peas; the colours, as well as the scent, are lovely. 

Purple seems to be making a bit of an impact in the garden at the moment and the Thyme, ordered from Norfolk Herbs, arrived yesterday. 





As soon as I unpacked the plants, the bees twigged that something was afoot and they started to buzz around…give us a chance why don’t you?






I love the different shades of colour in these Thyme plants; the varieties are Ruby Glow, Peace, Wine and Roses and Creeping Red. I also added a large Marjoram, ( Marjoram Herrenhausen - Origanum laevigatum) as well as two Lavender Seal, to my order. That’ll keep the bees happy.




Meanwhile, I’m really happy with the large, stone troughs, inherited when we moved here last year.We emptied them, as I don’t think they had been replenished for quite some time, and we filled them with fresh compost…and new herbs!







The Bay, planted last autumn, seem quite happy too although I stupidly bought these plants without opening my eyes and realising that in the new garden… was a huge bay tree! πŸ˜‚

Anyway, talking about happy…we thought that we had a hedgehog visiting  but last night, we realised that there are now two hedgehogs appearing…but not at the same time.  My other half identified this from their markings via the web cam footage! Hurrah!





I’m pretty pleased, as a couple of months ago, before we had our own prickly visitors, my son said that they had a hedgehog in their garden. So just by chance, I happened to see a lovely, garden mosaic and I bought it for their garden. ( above). When it arrived I almost kept it!  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜† However, we didn’t have hedgehogs in our garden, at that point.






Well…I just had to ask the maker whether she could do another one, similar. She duly obliged and ours arrived on Thursday…it was a , ‘Look what I’ve bought for you’, moment, as I gave the package to my other half! πŸ˜‚  
πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦” πŸ¦”  

Moving on very swiftly..l love this book..




Here is one of the most useful books, given to me by my daughter, this year. It sits by my side constantly, and I scribble in it, frequently, but especially when G.W. and Beechgrove are ‘on the box’.





Today, as I watched G.W. which was from the RHS Hampton Court Flower Show, many notes were made ! I especially enjoyed Carol Klein’s show garden! At the age of 78, I am amazed at her energy, her stamina and her work ethic…not to mention her enthusiasm! I loved how she had different areas of interest in her design…and her planting was superb!

As well as this, I loved the lady from Daisy Roots Nursery and her knowledge of drought tolerant plants. This is definitely something about which I’m very aware, having had two very dry summers here in South Devon so I’m veering towards that way of thinking, what with the hosepipe ban that is likely to continue for some time.

You can read about Daisy Roots Nursery, here.






As far as garden journals, planners etc are concerned, there are many on the market but this, for me, is one of the better ones. Lovely illustrations and tons of pages..272 pages, to be exact!











1 comment:

  1. Lovely post. The sweet peas are so pretty, you have far more than we do here, I only manage a bud vase full at a time. All the purple hues in your new thyme plants are wonderful and I like your inherited stone troughs. Carol's garden was lovely, I admire her enthusiasm and cheerfulness. Glad you have hedgehog visitors to your garden:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)