Sunday 16 July 2023

Peace…so beautiful!

 


‘Peace’…my all time, favourite rose!

And my ‘Peace’ rose has finally arrived. I had to search for it as it was out of stock at David Austin Roses and has been for some time; I finally found one at Harkess Roses. 

‘Peace’ has an interesting story. I  wonder if you know that this beautiful, hybrid tea rose once had another name?!  It was once called ‘Madame A. Meilland. This rose was developed by a French horticulturalist, Francis Meilland in honour of his mother, Claudia.

So how did it become ‘Peace’?

The story goes that in 1945, Meilland wrote to Field Marshall Alan Brooke to thank him for his part in the liberation of France and to ask if Brooke would give his name to the rose. However, Brooke declined saying that his name would soon be forgotten but a much better name would be....’Peace’.

The yellow buds of ‘Peace’ open to reveal large blooms that, as they open and age, take in more and more pink around the edges of the petals. 

My new ‘Peace’ rose is shown here in the top two photos. My previous, more established, ‘Peace’ rose, that I left behind when we moved, is shown in the bottom two photos.

5 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful Rose and a wonderful story about it's re-naming. I'm glad you were able to find one for your garden, it must have been hard leaving the first one behind:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is indeed a beautiful rose. and I think the right decision was made to name it Peace. I think you were very lucky to have one. And thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a lovely rose. The story of its naming is most interesting, and one I will pass on to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous rose, and I love the story behind the name. I've been scrolling through, and your garden is lovely. Such a lovely space to sit and the lavender is fantastic, it's something I want to grow a lot more of.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)