Wednesday 28 June 2023

I Spy … IN THE GARDEN,




During my childhood, my very favourite, little books were most definitely the I-SPY books! I had a few, mostly nature themed, and I would tuck one into my pocket whenever I went out exploring! Trees, wild flowers, birds etc etc…this is how I built my knowledge about the natural world. I remember the excitement of putting a tick on the page, giving myself a score and returning home with a grand sense of achievement and a smile on my face! 




Browsing through my small pile of these little books, I’ve picked this one, which, in its simplicity, highlights the type of garden that existed when I was young. There is a kind of naive charm to these illustrations.






Even today, stone ornaments and bird baths appeal to me and I’m rather partial to adding such features to my present garden as long as they are tasteful…and not tacky!






Topiary was all the rage at one time and when I went away to train to be a teacher, I clearly remember the topiary in the wonderful and extensive grounds at my college in Hertfordshire! There must be an art to topiary as I’m sure that if I tried, I’d produce something hideous! I think I’ll just stick to ‘normal’ gardening! Whatever ‘normal’ means!

I’ve also added Hydrangeas to my new, front border. Planted in the autumn, I had to remind myself, yesterday, of the names of the plants that I’d bought…I can feel a blog coming on re that… so watch this space!




Sunflowers appeal to old and young alike, I think! This year, I’ve grown dwarf varieties; it will be great to feed the birds when the flowers go to seed.





Apart from my very first house with the ‘pocket handkerchief garden’, I’ve always had a greenhouse. I’ve just inherited a greenhouse in our new garden…sadly it’s not as big as I would’ve liked but as the garden is smaller than at our previous property, I think it will suffice. I remember my first ever greenhouse and that excitement of gathering all the necessary equipment: seed trays, labels, a watering can… and learning new words like ‘tamper tool’ and ‘dibber’ etc etc! How therapeutic it all was…I’d discovered the most fabulous hobby! I was 27 and my garden was my world…and from that day, I haven’t looked back! 

I have, however, never owned a kitchen garden and I envy anyone who does have one! I think they are wonderful places, with their high walls and all that goes on between them! A kitchen garden, for me, would be absolute bliss! 





Wheelbarrows, trugs, baskets! All of these add character to a garden. I own a proper, Sussex Trug, bought for me about five years ago by my other half. I love it...and of course, if one owns a Sussex Trug, one has to own the vintage hand tools to use with it! And I have acquired those too…a very tasty hand trowel along with a gorgeous hand fork with twisted tines. 






Other tools are mentioned in this little book..and remember these would’ve been considered modern at the time! 




 
Needless to say, I’ve never possessed a flame gun! I wouldn’t trust myself with one! πŸ˜‚






Obviously, when one has finished in the garden, for the day, and a spot of relaxation is ‘just the ticket’, one needs the very best garden furniture!





All that fun packed into such a wonderful, little book! And all for one shilling! (That’s 5p in today’s money!) Who could want anything more?!😁



2 comments:

  1. Love books like these. I am partiall to the ladybird nature books from the 50s and 60s. Always heartened when I can see that the same wild flowers are doing as well today, despite of everything. X




    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have these too and my chidlren had some when they were little. They were great fun. I used to love the Ladybird nature books too from the 1950's/60's and the Observer books - I still have some of those!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)