Friday 2 April 2021

Simple pleasures...Violets and Cowslips...


Many years ago, I received this ‘boot planter’ from my sister. It’s been well used! Last year, I planted a Violet in it...and I do love a Violet!



 I always think of William Wordsworth’s poem, ‘ She dwelt among untrodden ways’, 
when I see a patch of Violets. This verse, in particular:


A violet by a mossy stone

Half hidden from the eye!

Fair as a star, when only one

Is shining in the sky.




As well as Violets, I love Cowslips. Last year, I actually saved the seed and was successful in growing my own Cowslips, which are doing very nicely in my greenhouse as I type! And I have many planted in the garden. These, below, are on my potting bench right now...for inspiration! The large one was a  Mothering Sunday gift. By the way, they are really easy to raise from seed. Just wait until the seed heads are very dry and the seeds shake out, easily.


 

So there we have it...two simple pleasures. Happy weekend everyone! 😁

3 comments:

  1. I love violets, and this poem...

    I don't feel it is really Spring, until I see violets.

    We here, have still been having, snow flurries, today. Our spring has not yet fully arrived. -smile-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charming!
    Did you know that there is a Cowslip called Little Queen Violet? (Primulis veris)
    Have a lovely weekend yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love violets and cowslips. Every spring I look around my garden and see where new plants have spread, it is like being given a gift!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)