Saturday 20 June 2020

I Love to see the Summer by John Clare





One of my favourite poems has to be ‘ I Love to see the Summer’ by John Clare.

Written in sonnet form, first person and with such a simple style, it sums up the season for me. It captures the simplicity and joy of the natural world; a natural world where you can access so much for free and I believe that it is this natural world that gladdens one’s heart and freshens one’s soul.

Here it is, in all of its simplicity:


I Love to see the Summer by John Clare


I love to see the summer beaming forth
And white wool sack clouds sailing to the north
I love to see the wild flowers come again
And mare blobs stain with gold the meadow drain
And water lilies whiten on the floods
Where reed clumps rustle like a wind shook wood
Where from her hiding place the Moor Hen pushes
And seeks her flag nest floating in bull rushes
I like the willow leaning half way o’er
The clear deep lake to stand upon its shore
I love the hay grass when the flower head swings
To summer winds and insects happy wings
That sport about the meadow the bright day
And see bright beetles in the clear lake play

Simple yes, but it says it all without being flowery or pretentious. 
I’m used to analysing poetry with pupils and this one offers such a lot; although to ‘pick it to pieces‘ is not really what I’m about in this blog post. However, if you want an uncomplicated poem to use with a student, then look no further!

Here’s a snippet of information re the poet. It’s quite sad to think that John Clare was so troubled towards the end if his life. I can only hope that he was comforted by nature. At least he’s brought joy to others with his poetry. 

John Clare (1793-1864) was born in the Northamptonshire village of Helpston and attended school there until he was around eleven years old after which he was largely self-taught. Clare’s first book of poetry, Poems Descriptive of Rural Life and Scenery(1820), was well-received, and his work was extremely popular with the public. In the 1830s, however, his popularity faded — a problem his publishers tried to correct by standardizing his verses into what they considered to be more contemporary poetic conventions. Clare wrote this Sonnet in 1841, the year before he was confined in the Northampton County Asylum where he spent the rest of his life.

clare


 (https://voxpopulisphere.com/2016/07/20/john-clare-i-love-to-see-the-summer-beaming-forth/)














No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)