Tuesday 4 May 2010

Dorset delights... and oozes rural charm !!


Without a doubt, one of the most photographed places in England!
We stopped off here, on Friday, instead of taking our usual route to Chipping Sodbury.
And in this little shop at the top of Gold Hill...
we bought this print...
Shaftesbury ...a lovely town in which to sit and watch the world go by!
Here's the clip of the 1973 Hovis advert:
But of course, there's also the famous Ronnie Barker sketch, where he takes an eternity to push his bike up the hill.
Huffing , puffing, panting and sweating, he utters words similar to these :
''Father always did say it was a bl**** long way for a loaf of bread!!''
****
Needless to say, I did not walk down the hill so therefore had no need to walk up it!
More of our travels tomorrow!
Have a great day! ;-)

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Felt my age as I remember the hovis ad on tv! Love your fair pics, lots of bloggers have posted pics of the gorgeous stalls but yours are my fave, Im still feeling sad as I am too far to visit so seeing them is nice. Thanks for sharing.
    Best regards
    Deborah {Fondantkiss} x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely place, Ronnie Barker was a genius, I used to serve him when he came into the centre that I used to run, some days he was the life and soul, cracking jokes and other days he just wanted to be anonymous.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super post. I've always wanted to walk down that hill - but not up it perhaps nowadays:) Your print is lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures - love the print. One place I have never been to....
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to walk down the hill - but not up it again!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claim to fame - or tenous (cant spell it?) link - my cousin used to live on that hill somewhere !
    Looks lovely
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely place to have visited. Don't think I would have had the stamina to walk up that hill though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remembering that 2 Ronnies sketch made me chuckle!
    Glad we don't have hills like that in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I missed you on Saturday - maybe you had gone for cake! (Which was fabulous...)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, the music from the Hovis advert popped into my head as soon as I saw the photo :)
    twiggy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photo's, Thankyou for sharing. I also noticed your boycott the Sats badge, my son is due to take his on Monday, he seems to have nothig in school this year but work and practice towards them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't send him then!! I'd do that if my children were young again. I feel so strongly about it!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daah de dah, Daah de dah, Daah de daah de daah..........I can hear it now.............

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)