Saturday 28 November 2009

Cattle trucks and Figs !! ;-)


Today we caught the 'cattle truck' to Topsham! ;-)
I say 'Cattle truck' as the FGW train from Paignton to Exmouth really is no better than that.
We were all packed into just two carriages and even the driver found it difficult to get back into the train once we reached Exeter St Davids (as the train then leaves the station in the same direction from whence it came..if that makes sense!)
The day could only get better ....


And it did!




This is Cally's lovely stall at the Topsham market .
Cally is at Topsham every fortnight ...and also here :

http://callyscottage.blogspot.com/




It was lovely to meet her and her hubby...who greeted Mr Snippets with that very name!
I think the people around us really thought we were of that surname!
Imagine that..Sally and Terry Snippets! LOL (Some things make me giggle!)



A fine array of Christmas goodies from a lovely Cally !

Naturally, one tries hard to make the day a little more tempting for one's other half..and so the next port of call was here, for lunch:

And a wander around Topsham afterwards, is always quite pleasant.








As we walked back to the station, this lovely Fig tree caught our eye ...there were still one or two figs on it.


And how lovely is this...

A fab trip... and I didn't feel the urge to stop off at Exeter on the return journey...there must be something wrong with me! ;-)
On Monday, weather permitting, I am off on a 'jolly' to another fave place which begins with the same two letters at Topsham!
I wonder where on earth that could be!!
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
;-)

17 comments:

  1. What a great day you had !
    Yes, I agree : Cally makes beautiful Xmas decorations ! I know her blog.
    I remember we went to Topsham when we spent holidays at Dartmouth but it was many years ago so I don't remember exactly. Thanks for the photos !
    Have a nice Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sal, it was SO lovely to see you and I am so pleased that you are feeling better. Dont you just LOVE Topsham?? And you went to our favourite place for lunch too.....
    I hope that you had a good time at the V and H fair and that it was busy,sadly for me they are fully booked up still but I may get a chance one day!!
    Hope that you enjoyed the rest of the day and that you made it home before the heavens opened!!
    Warmest Wishes,
    Cally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Mrs Snippets!
    Topsham looks lovely, I keep meaning to go to the market is it in St Matthews hall??? That where I'm doing the fair on the 13th.
    Those trains are terrible, don't know why they don't make them bigger.
    Have a good Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely blog bringing back lovely memories to me. Topsham,Totnes and Exeter, all the places I love, to think we went to Exeter nearly every Saturday when we lived in Sidmouth. Totnes everytime we visited my parents in Dittisham, oh and Plymouth occasionally not one of my favourite places but OK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the title of this post, it made me smile and think it would be a good name for a firm of solicitors in a book or something: "Cattle Truck And Figs"..... Sounds like a lovely day out. The fig tree looks a beauty. At the time of writing it is blowing a gale and bucketing down....... Shan't be going far today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the title of this post, it made me smile and think it would be a good name for a firm of solicitors in a book or something: "Cattle Truck And Figs"..... Sounds like a lovely day out. The fig tree looks a beauty. At the time of writing it is blowing a gale and bucketing down....... Shan't be going far today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I remember that fig tree! Gosh, I loved Topsham as a teenager. I think it's possible that not many people could say that...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time you write a post about Topsham I think it is somewhere I would love to visit. I hope you and Mr Snippets had a good lunch at The Lighter Inn:) All those Christmas goodies have made me feel a bit Festive at last:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like all that redness - it makes me feel quite festive! I think 'Mrs Snippets' sounds lovely - it has a very red gingham air.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sal - I've just found your blog and enjoyed reading through some of your posts. It's so lovely to find a fellow South Devon blogger - I live in Denbury. I'll definitely be back to visit again now I've found you - Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely fun and festive post....
    Have a good weeke!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely day out, I enjoyed the visit.
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. enjoyed my vist with you into Exeter, great post & nice blog ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad your day turned out good.
    Snippets would be a lovely surname!! :)

    oh...and have fun in Totnes xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. what lovely photos, and what gorgeous things. I'm definitely going to have to check out this market, and that stall in particular. I do love Topsham, in fact, it would be top of my list of favourite places to live, if I had the money - I don't think we'd be able to afford a shoe box there.

    I'm guessing you're off to Totnes today (another fabulous place)- have a great time and look forward to hearing all about it. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Topsham is a delight, isn't it? Lovely photos of this super place with it's Dutch-gabled buildings.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)