Tuesday 31 March 2009

The London Transport Collection


Don't you just love this poster?
I missed the boat...I should have put it on here on Sunday!

Do you know, I could kick myself!

In 1977, I took a class of children, from the school in which I taught at Lightwater, Surrey, to Syon Park, Brentford, Middlesex. At the time, the 'London Transport Collection' was housed at Syon Park. It was a wonderful venue and a fine time was had by all.

Of course, at the end of every school trip, it's always fun to dive into a shop (if there is one) and see what's on offer.

And that's why I could kick myself.

Because , on offer were loads of fantastic posters...and I bought only one! This one below, which takes pride of place on my study wall:

If you're like me and adore the old vintage railway posters and, similarly, the London transport posters, then pull up a chair, pour yourself a cuppa and get ready to browse this wonderful site!


Either here in the poster section





Or here, in the collections section,where you can buy an A3 OR A4 photographic reproduction.





Or you can browse by theme





or decade





or artist




***

In the meantime. I've picked out a few of my faves from the hundreds on offer.

I could not resist this one!



Continuing the sporty theme..these...




Twickers...!


' New balls please '...The famous SW19 :



P... p ...pick up a...



'They're under starter's orders and they're off!'


Times for pleasure:




Oh look...a very sombre student...deep in thought!



We're watching the fun...



Good Golly!


A wonderful visit to Kew Gardens...


Fun times...



And, oh my,here's a lady, waiting for the bloggers to arrive and rifle through her wares!!



Ooops, I nearly forgot..no bloggers in those days as this poster was published in 1923!


Evening entertainment...



Stand to attention!



I hope you enjoy browsing the website and remember to travel safely over Easter ...put on yer best bonnet and..




P.S. The winner of my Easter Giveaway is Victoria of Vintage Tea!

Thank you everyone for leaving a comment!;-)





Don't forget that you can also visit this wonderful museum, which is now at Covent Garden.



(All of these fab pics courtesy of the London Transport Collection)
;-)

15 comments:

  1. Lovely posters, Sal - I was aware of railwy posters, but had no idea how many London Transport posters were made! My son would love the rugby ones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh what an interesting collection of images! I love them!

    Thanks! Have a lovely day :)

    Mademoiselle M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaarrrgghhh, I WANT the foxglove one. Please!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love them, I have a couple and just waiting for a place to put them. I especially love the boat race one - it's in the blood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just gorgeous posters. I'd be tempted to buy something like this if I had any spare wall space, but any spare wall space is quickly eaten up with bookshelves! Love the concert photo and the woman wearing her Easter hat!
    Margaret Powling

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post (again!). I could look at the graphics and colours on these for ages. Lovely, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What super designs...I've got my eye on the Mabel Lucie Atwell 'Pantomime' one! Thanks for putting the links on your page.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really fabulous posters. I love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the the old posters too. We have a few in our home. One of my favourites is the 'Skegness is Bracing' one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful posters. Thanks for the links .. I'm off for a lovely browse. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely posters Sal, I'm off to take a look now...always wanted some :) x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those posters look great. A friend of mine works for London Underground so has free entry to the museum, seeing these pics makes me want to head straight to the museum... ok I mean straight to the gift shop!!!

    Soooo excited to hear I won your giveaway!!!!!! Thank you xxxx

    Victoria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sal
    Hope you are well
    Thanks for looking by
    I don't know what I shall do with my time now
    I shall miss your blog but I do understand
    I hope that you and Mr S both enjoy your retirement
    I must say that I don't know whether I could be brave enough to just up sticks and sail around the world
    Take car the both of you and if you should find yourself in an internet cafe somewhere perhaps you could email me or better still post a picture
    Bon Voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jess
    Thanks for your kind wishes
    We too will miss everybody but it won't be forever and we will be back one day I am sure

    ReplyDelete
  15. These posters are wonderful I love the Kew Gardens and School outings ones. We have two or three french posters on our landing walls - Steinlen cats advertising tea and hot chocolate:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)