Sunday 6 July 2008

The things I acquire!

I've shelled out on some planters for my garden.
They didn't cost me a bomb either!


The story goes that my Grandfather, on my dad's side, who fought in The Great War, brought back these brass shell cases from wherever he was fighting.
My dad has stored them for years, in his garage.
I think they went to auction at some point...and then came back again as noone wanted them .

They're flippin' heavy too!!


And now, because I always want to find out more about anything I acquire, I've discovered something called 'Trench Art'.
I found this quite interesting...

Which led me to:

Trench Art was a unique art form about which I knew little...but I know a lot more now just for acquiring these. Mine, however, have not been engraved, embossed or altered in any way...yet!

But it does seem kind of weird that something of beauty could be made out of something that helped to destroy...doesn't it?

13 comments:

  1. Marvellous piece of history being put to a much better use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of trench art. You're right, It does seem weird that something made to destory can be made into a thing of beauty. I suppose there is beauty in everything if we look hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - trench art is cool. So are your planters. Won't the sun make the metal really hot and dry out the roots, or do you keep them in the shade? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have taken something that comes from ugliness and turned it to beauty **applause** I love it!
    Smiles, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this sentence sums up Trench Art 'it was born out of the troops need to keep themselves busy during the long lulls between deadly attacks'. Doesn't it make you feel so sad, and proud of these brave men. What an amazing story these shell cases could tell. Your Dad and Grandad have come up trumps again with these and great for them to be given a new lease of life. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really interesting. I hadn't even heard of trench art!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow really interesting to find out about Trench art. I guess it just shows us that beauty is there in everything if we choose to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had not heard of Trench Art either! very interesting. I think they look fab as little plant holders!
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your unusual garden plant containers! Similarly, my husband and his brother were given (as children) money boxes made out of brass shell cases, with a military brass button on the top as the 'lid'.
    Margaret Powling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting. You do learn something new everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Recycling at its best! And such pretty flowers too :0

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some trench art!!
    A shell case my Grandfather brought back from the Somme and fashioned into a vase....I keep my long matches in it.
    As I visit Belgium and lot I have seen lots of TA in museums...some of it is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)