Wednesday 4 June 2008

'Odds and Suds'...and things of that sort!

Blogs should come with the facility to smell the good things which are shown on them! Maybe a 'sniff here' button would be a good idea! ;-)
It was a 'spur of the moment trip', down the A38, early this morning!
Walking into this shop in Ashburton, was a delight to all of my senses!

OMG this place is lovely! I am so glad that I have my nose and a good sense of smell!

'Odds and Suds' has the most amazing selections of hand made soaps, all beautifully packaged .

But mixing and mingling with the soap displays, were many other treats...especially vintage bits and pieces, which is what I love.

Trugs, candles, wireware, baskets, enamelware, shabby pieces of furniture,tinware etc.

And the lady owner was an absolute treasure, allowing me to snap pics for my blog (unlike another shop owner, who refused my request...her reason being that it might bring her hordes of customers who would want her to make things and she would not be able to keep up with the demand! Anyway, her loss!)


'Odds and Suds' has another shop in Tavistock (I've pencilled in that trip across the moors,but have not yet told 'you know who'! I'll kind of wait and drop it into conversation soonish!!)

The thing is that you think you are just walking into a soap shop and you end up seeing so much more. But I was very good, I only bought one soap ! It was beautifully wrapped!
Can you smell it?....Come on, stick your nose close to the screen ;-)
It's lemongrass...


And just look at the reflection in the window! I didn't realise, until I got home and loaded my photos, that these old cars were behind me!

I love Ashburton. I feel the need to go back very soon !!

22 comments:

  1. Oh my - what a wonderful looking shop. Wish blogging had smell-o-vision! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely is my kind of shop. I think it would have been hard for me to restrain myself from filling up one of those trugs or baskets! Guess what? I did sniff the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh scrummy! I can almost smell it. That doll/angel in your first pic looks lovely (sorry - doll freak alert!!).
    How barmy are some people - refusing potential custom? The mind boggles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely shop for you to visit. I especially love the last picture with the cars in the reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What delightful photos of a marvelous shop! Thank you for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be hanging around in Odds and Suds for hours. Good choice with the lemongrass soap, I always go for the citrus ones like lemon verbena. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful shop. I don't think I could come out of there empty handed. You have to visit their other shop and let us see if that is as gorgeous. (In the interests of keeping all us bloggers happy of course).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photos of that wonderful shop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous shop - just my kind of place! Thanks for sharing ... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a gorgeous looking shop. I don't have a sense of smell though so I would have to rely on other people to tell me which one to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sal, I think I read an article in Country Living (UK version which is wonderful)about this shop. I do know I would love to visit there some day. Love everything you photographed.

    Back a post - your kitchen is fabulous - I'll be stopping by one of these days if you'll have me!! I'm still trying to find time to Google Earth your village - thanks for the info.

    Thanks for visiting my porch today for the party - I wonder why English houses are short on porches? We used to sit on the front step between the showers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm...I can *almost* smell it! What a lovely shop to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a treat and what a coincidence too..
    This has satisfied my curiousity as this was the shop that was being refurbished on my visit to Ashburton in April... It looked tempting from the decor and even more so now!
    I can almost smell those lovely rose buds from here..
    We hope to return here in August...
    Michelexxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my---what a lovely place!! Thanks for taking us along.
    Smiles, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely shop. Thankyou for sharing all those lovely things with us. Some people are strange aren't they? I can hardly believe the other shop keeper denying you taking photos and her reason behind it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oH I wish it was near to me, what a fab shop, thanks for those pics Sal, I didn't think shops like that existed anymore. I can almost smell all that delicious soap. Do they have a website?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear All, thank you so much for all of the kind comments. I am very pleased that you like the shop. Please come and see me when you can. Kind regards, Jenny Elesmore (Owner Odds and Suds)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I found this same shop in Tavistock a number of years ago and I still have the quilt that I bought there on my sofa and a lovely bird house the owners husband made in my garden- i hope the second shop is a huge success as some of the shop keepers eg SARAS LAVENDER BOX are very unfriendly!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmmm...Perhaps you were just unlucky.I actually went into Sarah's Lavender Box last week and have to say that I had very friendly service indeed!

    Why was the owner's husband making a bird house in your garden? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been looking at Lynne Hatwell's blog, www.dovegreyreader.typepad.com and today she also mentions Odds & Suds. So, I thought I'd look up this shop on the Internet. It doesn't appear to have a website, but through looking it up I've found your blog, about which I'm delighted. I love Ashburton and, indeed, used to help out occasionally in the Dartmoor Bookshop (when it was owned by the previous owners.) Your pix of Odds & Suds are lovely ... I shall certainly be going there, and soon!
    Best wishes,
    Margaret Powling

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Margaret.I tried to visit your blog, to thank you, but cant seem to access it. Sal;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Odds and Suds does have a website - oddsandsuds.com

    thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)