Saturday 5 October 2024

My family’s love of nature!





I have always said that the best thing about nature is that you can see it for free; that’s if you bother to open your eyes! 


As a primary school teacher, nature always played a big part in my classroom…and especially the nature table! Sadly, that avenue of pleasure seems to have died out in many classrooms today. But in mine it was a real treat. As well as this, as a 5 year old, I recall many nature walks with the teacher! 


And I like to think that I’ve passed on this love of nature to my children and grandchildren.


My eldest grandson, who is 11, has the bug. He is soooooo keen! And his dad has made two wildlife ponds in their wonderful garden.


It didn’t take long for many creatures to find their way to such a lovely environment! He sends me regular updates and he becomes very excited when he gets home from school and ventures outside! 



 

Frogs are regular visitors and then look at this! Here is Striped Emperor Dragonfly nymph,that he identified recently.




 

And here’s another Dragonfly nymph, below…




And then along came…a newt! He sent me this video just as the newt was climbing out of their smaller pond. Do watch!





And that’s not all! To my surprise, this morning, I received a message from my son, who, unfortunately, had to get up in the middle of the night to take the dog outside! BUT…what a reward he had for doing this. As there on his garden wall….a newt! 





Isn’t nature wonderful? I think so!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)