Wednesday 11 September 2024

Foyle’s War


 

Last week, Nich and I were chatting about autumn/ winter viewing. I asked him if he’d ever watched ‘Foyle’s War’, a series that ran from 2002 - 2015.

Written by Anthony Horowitz and starring Michael Kitchen, Honeysuckle Weeks and Anthony Howell, the first 6 episodes are set in the town of Hastings. After this, there are 7 more series, in various settings, ending in 1947, after the war. 

It’s the most wonderful series and some of it was set at the very college where I trained to be a teacher! Balls Park College, Hertford.






I was fortunate enough to have spent three years here! Three idyllic years! Part of the college buildings included a 17th century mansion set within lovely grounds, with a lake.





Another part of the college included, ‘West Wing’,  (below), where I had a room in my third year. I think my room was on the top floor, third from the right.




As well as the mansion and a few modern buildings built for lectures etc, the college had also bought a number of large houses, nearby, for student accommodation. Below, is Asbourne House, the accommodation in my first year.





Everything about this place oozed peace and charm and it was the best place to study! Here I am sitting outside the mansion; I was in my third year and nearing the end of my training.





This was The Cottage; it was in the college grounds and also used for accommodation…and also used in Foyle’s War.



I have to say that I was very excited to see my old college, some years later, in Foyle’s War. It all brought back such good memories…










…especially what we knew as, ‘Black and White Hall, where I would go every day, to the ‘cubby holes’ to see if there was any mail for me.




I passed on my collection of Foyle’s War DVDs, to Nich, so that he could watch them throughout the next few months. And no sooner had I done so when I saw that this series was being shown again on TV! 

Needless to say, I’ve now decided to watch them all again! I highly recommend! It’s my very favourite series, that’s for sure.


7 comments:

  1. Loved Foyles War although only caught up with it all several years after it was originally on TV.
    My best friend from Grammar School went to Balls Park for teacher training - would have been 1973 I reckon. Her name was Alison Self and her father was a well known artist. I lost touch with her after the school reunion in 1988 and she'd married someone called Smith - so impossible to find her online now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that series.
    What a beautiful place to spend three years. My college was in Lincolnshire, set in large grounds, with peacocks calling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely way to bring back so many good memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just watched all available seasons of Foyle’s war and just loved it. Such a quality production! And the Black and White Hall is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really was a great series. It's fun to spot places that you know on tv, especially when it is somewhere with happy memories attached.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Foyles War and can watch it over and over again. We enjoyed finding Foyles' house in Hastings when on holiday a few years back. What a great place to do your studies, that black and white floor is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)