Tuesday 30 May 2023

It’s a wonderful life! 😁


This little gem came home with me yesterday and it didn’t have far to travel! I just happened to spot it standing quietly with a few others as I was looking for a Clematis that didn’t grow at a rampant pace. And there it was shouting out, ‘ Buy me!’ Job done! And it will fit so perfectly in the space that I’ve earmarked.

Meanwhile…Nemesia enter the stage, along with a few friends…this arrangement brightens a plain corner of the garden..and the beautiful, ceramic  container was given to me 25 years ago as a leaving gift when I left a teaching job. It’s done three gardens and is still going strong.




It’s funny how one day something can be in bud and then the next it opens up beautifully, and to my surprise, that’s what happened yesterday. A lovely creamy- white Rock Rose, quietly getting on with its life, in the corner of an old Belfast sink, took me by surprise! 




Last year, my nephew gave me a potted rose; the label said, ‘ It’s a Wonderful Life’….and yesterday, it too, decided to bloom! The word must’ve got around as it sits fairly close to the Rock Rose…




Similarly, this Salvia was only in bud when I brought it home last week…at the moment my borders are somewhat full, so I repotted and utilised this basket, for the time being…bees you may visit now! Come on! 





Foxgloves! I can’t get enough of them and the first one flowered…yesterday! A lovely, pale pink too with the Lavender in front of it, sending out a subtle scent.




If there’s one plant in the garden that is a MUST because of its reliability and dependability at all times, it’s the Erysimum …and in particular, Bowles Mauve…




This beauty, below, was planted last year. It’s an ornamental strawberry plant, ( Fragaria × ananassa ) and this particular variety is called ‘Pink Panda’.
It’s sun loving, with bright, pink flowers that have a yellow centre and it will flower from the spring right through until November! Talk about great value for money!




Another success are my Chives plants, also planted last year, in my stone containers. I love Chives!




Meanwhile, another garden staple has to be the Erigeron karvinskianus, which is cultivated for its daisy-like blooms. This wonderful plant is best grown in crevices in walls or paving, where it rapidly spreads to provide a carpet of flowers for months and months. You can get nine months of flowers from this plant! Truly! Therefore it is well deserving of the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.




As I was taking in all the loveliness in my garden, I turned around to see a gathering of a mixture of wild flowers and garden flowers, growing happily against the garden fence…it was a lovely surprise!





And all that I can really say is, ‘Yes! It’s a wonderful life!’ Especially in the garden!

Have a great day, everyone!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)