Sunday 18 April 2021

Beautiful Book time!




‘Book time’...or I should say ‘Must have’ book time....and all connected, in some way, with gardening.

First up is this one...

’ A Woman’s Garden’ by Tanya Anderson



I ordered this months ago! And it finally arrived on Friday.





Living on the Isle of Man ( she was born in the U.S.A), Tanya grows lovely and beautiful plants and then shows you how you can use these in your life! I’ve been reading her website as well as her blog for some time...well worth a visit too. You can find these...

Here


🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻


Next up is ..

Kate Bradbury’s ‘How to create a Wildlife Pond’



Now, we’ve already created a wildlife pond in our garden but that’s not to say that we don’t need more books! I follow Kate on Twitter and when I saw that she was writing this book, I knew that it would be a useful addition to my gardening bookshelf ( or is that bookshelves? :-) It’s a fabulous book, full of useful facts and info... and Kate’s passion and enthusiasm is infectious!





🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻


Thirdly...I could not resist this one! Oh no!


‘The Flower Yard’ by Arthur Parkinson



Arthur Parkinson...so who is  he? Here are a couple of snippets from his biography..

‘Arthur Parkinson grew up in Nottinghamshire taking school summer holidays in the neighbouring Peak District. This resulted in him forming an endearing passion for chickens and of the countryside. He discovered a book by Sarah Raven called ‘The Bold and Brilliant Garden’ which began his interest in gardening and lead him to study it when he left school going onto train at Kew Gardens for a year. Arthur then worked for Sarah Raven at her farm in East Sussex for a summer before going onto work for Emma Bridgewater at her factory in Stoke -on-Trent. Here he took on a walled garden behind the factories gift shop turning it into a lush, sultry toned potager and cut flower styled archipelago complete with his flock of adored, rare breed hens .....

.....Arthur takes his own photographs and over 200 photos are in his first book ‘The Pottery Gardener’ While working at the Emma Bridgewater Factory full time he still works for Sarah Raven on a free lance basis and visits Chatsworth Farmyard as often as time allows he also gardens at his mothers cottage Mill Yard which will be the focus of his next book.’





Did you see that? ‘ his next book’....( salivates!) . 

The photography in ‘The Flower Yard’ is superb, btw!


🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻


Finally,  my dear ‘other half’ bought this for me, last week. 

‘The Complete Gardener’ by Monty Don

It’s a cracker of a book with so much packed into it. I love Monty Don and watch avidly when he presents Gardeners’ World, usually with my notebook at the ready. It’s my ‘treat of the week’. 

If you could only afford one book, this would be the one. It’s been updated too with photos of Monty’s garden at Longmeadow, interspersed with all the gardening ‘know how’ that you need. 





🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻



4 comments:

  1. Monty's book is on my wish list.
    Have you read Margery Fish...We made a garden?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth...no I haven’t although I was looking at it online, not too long ago! I’ll add it to my list! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Achingly beautifullllll.... -happy sigh-

    🌷🌱🌷

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have Monty's book on my Wish List.
    Now I must check out more on Arthur as he sounds like an amazing gardener/floral designer etc. etc.
    Noted Nigel Slater's note too. Don't you love his recipes?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)