Wednesday 17 March 2021

Did I mention Scotland?


      My first sight of Scotland was back in the 1960s, when my parents took

      us on another ‘grand tour’. These tours were packed with fun filled

      visits to many famous places, usually with an historical flavour!

      Anyway, I remember we arrived at Edinburgh Waverley Station at 7am 

      having caught the overnight sleeper/motorail from Devon. And we were off

      on our tour.



      I’m able to intersperse this blog post with a few old postcards

      as my mum passed these on to me...and I’m glad that she did!

      I recall that as a young teenager, Gretna Green appeared to be 

      a fascinating subject!









However, there was also the history 

and Scotland is steeped in that!




The Battle of Bannockburn on June 23–24, 1314
              
was a decisive battle in Scottish history;
   
      the Scots under Robert the Bruce,

defeated the English. 

     And above is his statue.




Some years later, after our initial trip to Scotland,

I made another visit, this time with a college friend.

We youth hosteled around Scotland, making it

all the way to Inverness.

One of the youth hostels where we stayed was here:



                          Many of us have heard of the Glencoe Massacre...a number

                          of members of the Macdonald clan, were slaughtered for not
   
                          pledging allegiance to the new monarchs.

                          Anyway, all was pretty quiet when we were there!
    



As mentioned I was a student at the time. And when 

I returned I was on teaching practice, during which, I used what 

knowledge I had acquired and planned a whole project around 

the theme of Scotland! It was wonderful! Not only did we have 

‘Tartan’ art all around the classroom but there 

was the creative writing, inspired by ‘The Loch Ness Monster’

and so much more besides.





Scotland is a most beautiful place! 

It offers so much...

Lochs, castles, nature, wildlife, history, tartans,clans,
 
...haggis...and ....




I started with the first house in Scotland...

so there’s no better way than to end with...




      ...at John O’ Groats, Caithness.
      


1 comment:

  1. And don't forget William Wallace, and the Battle of Stirling!!!!!! -smile- The first use of what we call "Guerrilla Warfare," irregular military actions.

    How wonderful that you have visited Scotland, more than once.

    My ancestors came from Scotland, Ireland, Germany and Austria. I would so love to visit Scotland. -sigh-

    Thank you for your glimpses.....

    🍀✨🍀✨🍀✨🍀✨🍀✨🍀

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)