Saturday 23 January 2021

Thrush Green


What better way than to spend a very cold January day in Thrush Green!

My idea of heaven would be to live and teach in this idyllic village....

...except that it doesn’t actually exist.

Thrush Green ( as well as Fairacre) is a fictitious village created by ‘ Miss Read’.

‘Miss Read’ wasn’t the real name of the writer; in fact she was called Dora Saint.

(Many years ago, I met her and I recall that she signed a book for me.)

However, the original Miss Read books, published by Michael Joseph,

were very, extra special! They were illustrated by John S Goodall, a famous

English illustrator.




I love the illustrations of John S Goodall.  Characterisation was his talent, 

that’s for sure. Oozing charm as well as wit, they perfectly matched 

Miss Read’s writing. Whether it was Mr Piggott, described by Miss Read 

as ‘ The gloomy sexton’...



Or  Paul Young and his ‘crony’ Chris Mullins...



Harold Shoosmith...




And one must not forget Mrs Pringle of Fairacre...

 

This time of year always shouts out to me, ‘Miss Read’ books. And even though

I’ve read them again and again, I love to say, ‘ Hello’ to these delightful characters

and then jump into the village of Thrush Green. 

Much comfort is gained and a warm feeling takes over.

 Pure bliss!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)