Tuesday 14 February 2012

Darling...I give you an onion! ;-)


Valentine

by Carol Ann Duffy


Not a red rose or a satin heart.

I give you an onion.

It is a moon wrapped in brown paper.

It promises light

like the careful undressing of love.

Here.

It will blind you with tears

like a lover.

It will make your reflection

a wobbling photo of grief.

I am trying to be truthful.

Not a cute card or a kissogram.

I give you an onion.

Its fierce kiss will stay on your lips,

possessive and faithful

as we are,

for as long as we are.

Take it.

Its platinum loops shrink to a wedding-ring,

if you like.

Lethal.

Its scent will cling to your fingers,

cling to your knife.

3 comments:

  1. Well, now here is the cheese.

    You are my onion.

    On the face of it you are held all together by fragile thin brown paper
    But neath the skin, layers upon layers of your many and varied talents.

    Each layer holds a reason why I love you and protects your precious loving heart.

    I can't wait to untie the string and lay the brown paper aside

    I have the patience now, but in my youth I would have reached for my knife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pome. Happy Valentine's Day Sal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet but different poem.
    Happy Valentine's Day.
    Carol xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)