Saturday 25 September 2010

Exeter ! ;-)


I've been suffering withdrawal symptoms lately!

And so it was about time that we ventured.... upline ! ;-)

And what a beautiful day to do it!

The trouble was, that many other people had the same idea as us.... the city was heaving!



The beauty of Exeter is that you can escape to peace and quiet

so very quickly and so very easily! Which we did!

And when I could see that Mr S was becoming quite fraught with the noise and the crowds...

I took him by the hand and led him... this way...



I always say this...that the parks departments in Devon work

so hard to produce many stunning displays.

If you are in Exeter, it will take you just a minute to find the Rougemont Gardens.

And from there, you can follow the path into Northernhay Gardens.




It really is worth it!

99% of shoppers in Exeter probably don't even know that these gardens exist.



This was the treat of the day for me.

City? What city?

You would never think you were in one.



There was some lovely art work on display, too.









If you are not sure how to get to the gardens then find Violette, which is situated at the top of

the town, very near to Rougemont Castle.




I have to have my dose of vintage when I go to Exeter.

At the other end of the city, 'The Real McCoy' , in Fore Street,

is a fascinating place for vintage clothes.

It's a bit dark and dimpsy though...so do inspect your clothes well!!

Moth holes can be easily missed...we've discovered that!



But my fave place is of course..



Jolly junk for happy homes!



Always a pleasure!

A good turnover of junk means that each visit is different!














I didn't buy anything in Ottos... but Mr S found himself an old AA badge for his car.

And I came home with 'Collect it' to read this evening.



Let's hope the day is as good tomorrow...it's the booty at the Racecourse

and I've brushed up on my Polish, in readiness!!

;-)

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow - Ottos looks great - how are the prices??

    Fleur
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Rougemont Gardens! What a lovely Day Out you had, and glorious early autumn weather, too!
    Like the look of Otto's ... we had a travel rug like that predominantly blue check one in one of those photos! And I had a little blue attache case for school in 1957!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Exeter and I love Ottos. Thanks for the memories :)

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was packed yesterday, full of uni students & their parents buying bedlinen!!! Gardens look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, freshers week..I can't think of a nicer place to be a student! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought Collect It yesterday too - haven't bought it for years as it had become too "modern collectables" for me but this issue was a nice surprise.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the file drawers/cabinet!
    I fancy that for my kitchen.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the drawers - they remind me of going to the library when I was a child (I used to borrow my Mum's card for the adult library when I had read my way through the children's one). It's not the same looking for a book on the computer, instead of thumbing through index cards!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful gardens, it's hard to believe those photos were taken at the end of september.It's along time since I visited Exeter but I would love to pay another visit. I also bought Collect It magazine for the first time this month, I have never noticed it before.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  10. still never been to the Real McCoy.. or Otto.. sigh.. one day! See u at Chaggers next Saturday?? Have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous selection of photos, those parks look beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sal, sorry I havent been in touch, I have been so busy I have neglected my blogging pals...(see latest posts) hope you are well...love the places that you visited they look lovely...love to you and yours...H

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah, some of my favourite places in Exeter - so often we go into town, and do Fore St, Gandy St and Cathedral Yard and cut out the High St/Princesshay/Guildhall altogether - a much more pleasant experience. I'd recommend Boston Tea Party or Plant if you fancy a good cuppa and a cake after all that poking about (although the Real McCoy cafe is a good one too!) Sounds like a great day, glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! ;-)