Tuesday, 20 May 2008

Walk with us...

Come with us!
Let's take the path which runs alongside our house...
The Wisteria is not all in flower yet, so you can just see our landing window...

We'll go through this gate ...after you!

Through the churchyard...

And around to the front of Teigngrace church...

We'll walk on the road... very briefly...

We'll pass this rather lovely home...look, more tall chimneys and we all know why, don't we?!

Now walk down this lane...

Nice to see such thoughtful people living here, don't you think?...

It's taken two minutes to get here...


The next train to arrive at this platform..umm...probably won't! (Someone needs to tell this lone passenger that it's not main line..and never was!)

'Typical GWR..never on time ..Grrrrrr!' (quote from a complaining student)
We knew that there was a disused railway station in Teigngrace and on Sunday, we found it! There was once a sign saying 'Teigngrace Halt'. Sadly,that's gone now.
This is the branch line which ran from Newton Abbot to Moretonhampstead.This section of line is still used between Newton Abbot and Heathfield. .. mainly for transporting ball clay, we believe.

We hear the train now and again.
The canal is close by... shame it's very run down now. Must have been a wonderful sight when it was a working canal.


It's fascinating what can be found just outside one's garden gate.
Next weekend, we're going to walk across the railway line, over the fields to the River Teign, to see the Sand Martins. After that we'll venture to the tiny hamlet of Preston, where there are some adorable residences! ;-)
Would you like to come with us?
We'll meet on the path which runs alongside our house

11 comments:

Poppy Black said...

What a lovely walk! I'm looking forward to the next one. I love wisteria and am planning to plant one to grow over our wee verandah roof. I'm still trying to decide what colour. XXX

ethel and edna's tearoom said...

Ooh I'll look forward to it. :0)
Is the canal completely silted up or is there actually still water in it? There is currently a massive project on here to restore the Lichfield & Hatherton Canal. In many places the only evidence of it is a slight dip in the grass, but they are gradually redigging, building bridges and so on. It will be fab when it's all done.

Here, There, Elsewhere... and more said...

How bucolic...I love wisteria, old stone walls, canals, car free country roads...and, above all, I enjoy walks in the unspoilt English countryside :)

Simone said...

I'll meet you on the pathway next weekend!It's a shame when places become rundown and forgotten about. I love walking alongside canals. I like to see all the wildlife it attracts and the colourful barges and enjoy foraging for blackberries in the autumn!

Cowboys & Custard said...

I would love to join you on your next walk..
This time of year is sublime ... fresh new leaves and colour everywhere.
There is something very poignant about deserted railways.. I find them fascinating.

Michelex

Pixiedust said...

That was lovely, great photos, love the little dish with water for dogs. When I visit Glastonbury lots of people leave dog water outside. Look forward to the next walk.

Mary said...

An interesting history here Sal, enjoyed hearing about it and your pics are great. I'm so hoping I can get back soon (the dollar HAS to get stronger!) and explore the lanes around my home again - I love doing that more than going into town!

Looking forward to walking down to the River Teign with you!

P.S. That's a beautiful Welsh dresser in your hallway.

MarmaladeRose said...

I like taking a walk with you. It's sooo relaxing from my armchair. What a beautiful place you live in. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Fi x

Katherines Dream said...

I have really enjoyed our little stroll. I would love to live in the countryside.
Love the little dog bowl and sign!
Disused railways are so facinating, a little errie too, which makes them al the more interesting.
Carol x

Alison Boon said...

I really enjoyed the walk. So lovely to see the beauty that Britain has to offer.

Country Cottage Chic said...

What a lovely walk & beautiful photos.