Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Just Perfect!


I was so tired yesterday that I didn't go to my school room until very late in the afternoon, in fact just before lessons started.
It was then that I had the shock of my life!
'Someone' had read my blog last Friday, and (unbeknown to me), had gone to Totnes to buy me one of the old school desks that I had mentioned I'd seen there.
And on the desk was this:



Now what do you think of that?!!

I've wanted to add 'character' to my school room for such a long time.
Anything to do with the history of schools interests me. When I was at college, training to be a teacher, I did a dissertation on the, 'History of Schools in Newton Abbot'. I spent a long time reading old school log books, talking to older residents about their education, taking photos etc, investigating archives etc. It was one of the most enjoyable tasks I have ever undertaken and I uncovered some fascinating stuff too. More about that at a later date, maybe!

This lovely book reminds me very much of, 'Village School' by Miss Read. I bought it in the Dartmoor Bookshop, Ashburton, some time ago.


It's a lovely book. Written in 1959, Gwen Dunn takes us through the school year with Simon, his school friends and their teacher.


Shirley Hughes is the illustrator and her delightful drawings capture the atmosphere of the village school.



I'm now 'watching' a couple of other vintage school items on ebay. Maybe I'll win them to add to the flavour of my school room!
Meanwhile, my new old school desk is just...

;-)

6 comments:

Kitty said...

Awwww, what a lovely surprise!

I love Shirley Hughes' illustrations (and her Alfie stories - actually most of her stuff!) - they are so wonderful. We have lots of her books. x

Suzie Sews said...

Now that is one special gift. My children have their Dads actual school desk, his Mom 'stole' it when the school was throwing them away...no recycling in those days...its so lovely, we have his chair as well although that is in the downstairs loo being used as a magazine rack...love those illustrations

Anonymous said...

I'll do ANYTHING to be teachers pet

except run around in a wheel
bark
play dead ( but I will roll over or beg )
meow
ask for a cracker etc.

T Cherzpet

She'sSewPretty said...

Awww...that is so sweet! I'm going to have to post about something I want on my blog and see if anyone takes the hint. LOL

urumandi said...

Hi Sal - I am a newbie to your blog. Lovely to find real crafts still being admired. So much has been swept away with the fashion for 'minimalism'.

Jennie said...

I adore Shirley Hughes illustrations.
That book looks really lovely.
What a fabulous surprise for you!